Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up these two firearms recently--a 2007 Marlin Mod 1894 CB LTD in 45 Colt and a 1980 S&W Mod 25-5 in 45 Colt.

Shot the Smith about two weeks ago. Had to shoot it at the LGS 25 yard rifle targets since the pistol range was full. I was surprised to get a 5 inch group with some 255 gr hard cast loads I normally shoot in a Ruger Vaquero. I need to do some load development work with the Smith. I probably can shrink that grouping plus get it to group closer to POA before adjusting the rear sight.
Already found a load for the Marlin 1894 CB at the range yesterday--it likes the same rounds that I shoot in my 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk. Got the rifle to put 250 gr XTP/A2400 loads on top of each other at 50 yards plus pulverize orange clay bird bits at 100 yards. This rifle is going hunting with me this fall.

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have reloaded 45 Colt for years but only in pistols. Always wanted a rifle in that caliber. When my FFL recently offered to trade me straight up his 2007 Marlin 1894 CB 45 Colt for my 1981 Mod 336 30-30 Texan--I couldn't pass that up. First time out to the range made me a believer in a 45 Colt rifle if used within the cartridges capabilities.

·
Administrator
27,727 Posts
Jay, you must be living right as the Marlin and S&W gods are smiling down on you. Fantastic snag on that duo!

While they both appear to be in excellent condition, that Marlin appears to be a NIB! And both in my all time favorite caliber! I'm green with envy.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jay, you must be living right as the Marlin and S&W gods are smiling down on you. Fantastic snag on that duo!

While they both appear to be in excellent condition, that Marlin appears to be a NIB! And both in my all time favorite caliber! I'm green with envy.

Jack
The Marlin is NIB but my FFL got rid of the shipping box many years ago. I am the first guy to shoot the rifle since it left the JM factory.

·
Administrator
27,727 Posts
The Marlin is NIB but my FFL got rid of the shipping box many years ago. I am the first guy to shoot the rifle since it left the JM factory.

Ah, no wonder it appeared NIB, now I'm even more green with envy as that Marlin is one of my holy grail to find.

Did it come with the scope and what scope is it?

Jack

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, no wonder it appeared NIB, now I'm even more green with envy as that Marlin is one of my holy grail to find.

Did it come with the scope and what scope is it?

Jack
Didn't come with a scope. I had a Weaver V3 1-3X20mm optic laying around which I mounted using Leupold Rifleman scope rings/scope mount. Many here on MO don't like a scope on a Cowboy model. For my tri-focal glassed eyes--a scope is necessary while hunting in the dark shadowy woods these days.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Beautiful rifle you have obtained there sir. My mouth is drooling over that pair.

Only problem I have with the 45 colt cartridge is in my Marlin 1894. The chambers seem to be liberally cut so that some of the burning gun powder will blow by the brass & spray your face.

I did sent mine back to Marlin (JM days) & they replaced the barrel. The chamber on the new barrel is somewhat tighter but it still allows the brass to over expand so I have to neck size the brass to keep it from being over worked during resizing. Then, because of that, the cartridge won't fit all the way into the seating die without heavily burnishing the wall of the brass.

I've read that other Marlin owners have had that same blow by problem with their 44 mag 1894's as well.

·
Administrator
27,727 Posts
Didn't come with a scope. I had a Weaver V3 1-3X20mm optic laying around which I mounted using Leupold Rifleman scope rings/scope mount. Many here on MO don't like a scope on a Cowboy model. For my tri-focal glassed eyes--a scope is necessary while hunting in the dark shadowy woods these days.

Well Jay, since your nearly blind, you can send it to me. I mean, what are friends for, right? 🤣

Seriously, I wondered if the scope wasn't Weavers 1-3 which are very compact and the perfect scope for this rifle. Actually, it's surprising how great it looks on this CB. Best of all, you can see to shoot! LOL

When you get bored with it, I'll take it!

Jack

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful rifle you have obtained there sir. My mouth is drooling over that pair.

Only problem I have with the 45 colt cartridge is in my Marlin 1894. The chambers seem to be liberally cut so that some of the burning gun powder will blow by the brass & spray your face.

I did sent mine back to Marlin (JM days) & they replaced the barrel. The chamber on the new barrel is somewhat tighter but it still allows the brass to over expand so I have to neck size the brass to keep it from being over worked during resizing. Then, because of that, the cartridge won't fit all the way into the seating die without heavily burnishing the wall of the brass.

I've read that other Marlin owners have had that same blow by problem with their 44 mag 1894's as well.
Good to know! I haven't had that issue with my 1894s to include my latest Marlin. I did notice that I didn't get any sooty brass cases with this Cowboy. I have had that happen with some of my 45 Colt pistols due to improper sealing in the chamber/barrel.

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Jay, since your nearly blind, you can send it to me. I mean, what are friends for, right? 🤣

Seriously, I wondered if the scope wasn't Weavers 1-3 which are very compact and the perfect scope for this rifle. Actually, it's surprising how great it looks on this CB. Best of all, you can see to shoot! LOL

When you get bored with it, I'll take it!

Jack
I might let you borrow it to shoot at my place when we both get to ID! LOL!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Jack, just curious. Does that 2007 1894 have the serial # on the left side of the receiver? Bill

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
That’s a pair that will beat a full house any day! Beautiful specimens. Congratulations! Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
How on earth is this is "bad" case of anything??

Gorgeous and useful pair of guns in one the best cartridges ever made...
what's not to love??

The only thing better... if they were mine :sneaky:

BTW... I have that scope on a Ruger 77/44.. sweet, handy package.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
16,152 Posts
.45 Colt pistol loads? I use only 185 grain slugs at 1050-1100 ft/sec. Been doing it this way for decades. Light recoil and faster second shot time than the big 255's. I wear a .45 Colt revolver when I go into town, so the 185's feel better. Never shot .45 Colt in a rifle, but I'm absolutely certain it will be excellent. Please post target results and load specs. Congrats.

Reactions: Kendawg

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jack, just curious. Does that 2007 1894 have the serial # on the left side of the receiver? Bill
Actually, my name is Jay. The serial number is on the lower left side of the receiver like the 2008 and onward JMs. I think this was done to avoid a tang sight covering up the serial number.

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I heartily approve. Looks a lot like my .45 Colt Henry.

View attachment 843612
I know you have taken a few deer with that Henry! I don't think my loads are as hot as yours---18.5 grs of A2400 with the Hornady 250 gr XTP. That load is punishing in a Ruger Redhawk--probably coming out at ~1150/~1200 FPS MV. Its not bad in my Marlin and very accurate. I would NEVER shoot that loading in a Colt SAA/Ruger New Vaquero/Ruger New Blackhawk/S&W Mod 25. I don't think any of those revolvers could handle the pressure and recoil.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Very nice pair - quite the couple you have! I have a .45 Blackhawk that is a ton of fun to shoot - rifle or carbine coming my way someday - I hope. That rifle is a beauty.....rare find these days.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just picked up these two firearms recently--a 2007 Marlin Mod 1894 CB LTD in 45 Colt and a 1980 S&W Mod 25-5 in 45 Colt.
View attachment 843590 View attachment 843591
Shot the Smith about two weeks ago. Had to shoot it at the LGS 25 yard rifle targets since the pistol range was full. I was surprised to get a 5 inch group with some 255 gr hard cast loads I normally shoot in a Ruger Vaquero. I need to do some load development work with the Smith. I probably can shrink that grouping plus get it to group closer to POA before adjusting the rear sight.
Already found a load for the Marlin 1894 CB at the range yesterday--it likes the same rounds that I shoot in my 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk. Got the rifle to put 250 gr XTP/A2400 loads on top of each other at 50 yards plus pulverize orange clay bird bits at 100 yards. This rifle is going hunting with me this fall.
Great finds. I even load Speer snake shot capsules in various size shot for mine--like a handgun-shotgun. Perfect for woods walking.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts