Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Round barrel, correct sights, 50% color case,s-butplate, very good wood and tight crisp action. Bore is so-so. Matches my 44-40 perfectly, same configuration. Serial number is 371,XXX on 25-20 and 415,XXX on 44-40. I am tickled $#@%$#@^%$#. My Dad just bought an 1894 in 38-40 DOM 1895. It has been a good week. Anyone know appoximate DOM for these two? I also purchased a butt sling swivel that looks like original Marlin for these guns. If I put up a picture can someone verify? Thanks, moodyholler

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Moodyholler,
Congratulations on your find! The 371,xxx should be about 1909-1910, and the 415,xxx, should be around 1914-1915 era. These are just educated guesses, and not for sure.
As for the sling swivel; I can tell you if it looks like the original Marlin style. It wont guarantee it is, as there were others that also looked like the Marlin, but at least I can tell if it's similar.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
OK - This is too close to home......Where'd you find those things around here? I haven't been in Jim's place in a while......

Hmmm, maybe you did some online trading - or I had better start paying closer attention.

You going to the Salem show this weekend? I keep saying I'm not going back to look at the same people and same stuff, but I always seem to go back on my threat......Guess I'll run through on Sat.

Shum8

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shum8, had 44-40 for 10 years. Got the 38-40 and 25-20 online. I don't see many Marlins around here. I have bought two 93's,1- 1881 and a 39 in this area. The rest have came from Hillsville or internet. Jim has a '94 in 38-40 but he is pretty proud of it at 1495.00. I will be by the show on Sunday morning. I also intend to set up a table at the Roanoke show. Give me a call sometime, James Parker AKA moodyholler @ 427-2719

·
Registered
719 Posts
25-20

:D that's what you'll do when you shoot your 25-20! i load either jacket rem or lead with 8gr 2400....and she shoots great. kinda like a 22mag with more "oomph" and the neat thing, when you shoot...the bullets pull the smoke with them, you can see a "whirl" towards the target sometimes...but i shoot mine out to 200yds, at the metal gong, and connect ALOT!....i let my fatherinlaw and his brother shoot it, thought i was gonna have to fight em to get my rifle back!!!! :wink:
congrats!.....the 38-40 has NO recoil, but she drops some, unless you handload her..the 44-40 in my 1888 hasn't been shot in over qa year.so i can't remember it....but my 38-55.!!! :shock: she's a whomper! 255gr jacket at 1700fps!....don't for fun shoot it....but someday will take her deer hunting.....i just developed the load, got the sights set, and "put her back". i shoot my swiss n sweds for fun..... the marlins are for "special" occasions!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kaintuck, I just got rid of a bunch of military stuff. 1911 swiss long straight pull in 95%, no import marks,94 Swede carbine,96 carl gustav in 90%, 10 .303's in various shapes including 1950 new. 6 Japs , 03a3, and two garands. I have turned them all into Marlins. I kept 1905 Enfield,7.7 customized, and two Krags. However, I just traded for a garand 1942 DOM, rebuilt 1951, and converted to 308 by the navy. Every time I get rid of one, another one follows me home. I am currently negotiating for two 98 Mauser carbines. Later, Moodyholler

·
Registered
719 Posts
moody....

ahh...i haven't gotten the 1911 swiss YET......they keep comming around, but are kinda high$$$ for me and my middle class pay! :wink:
i have enough trouble keeping in bullets these days....i'm working on finding a nice swed 120~grain or so load....i have the perfect 85gr varmint load....and may just have to go back to it!...i haven't deer hunted in 20yrs....and my 38-55 or the 7.5swiss will do things right for me...but i KNOW in my heart the swed will get me a nice under MOA with something bigger than the 85gr pill!!!!!!!!
if i was to hunt in thick woods...i think i will take the vetterlli...i converted her over and use a 330gr pill at 1200fps..pushed by triple 7...really a FUN shooter! and accurate out to 100yds or so.... :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kaintuck, I have been playing with an 1881 in 38-55 and got my custom mold for it and took it to the range the other day with 35 gr. bullets and 45 gr cartridge Goex. It was a hoot to shoot. 32-40 is almost as fun. Later, Moodyholler

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! typo 335 grain bullets from NEI mold .382 Diameter. SOoy bout that. moodyholler

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Boy, and I was thinkin you were on to a pretty nifty varmint load.... :shock:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Me too! I was trying to figure out how thin a .38 would be to weigh 35 grains! :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts