Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there... Remember a while back I posted a thread about my Marlin 30AS that I bought off a buddy at work. It had a ridiculously huge 4-12x40 scope on see-thru rings on it?

Well, lo and behold, I picked up this scope off eBay for next to nothing. It's an old Glenfield 4x32 scope on a Weaver base/rings. I had it mounted and boresighted for me too.

Now, the rifle is a great little shooter! :) I took it out to the range and got it all sighted in. At 50 yards, it was a tack driver and at 100 yards, it put beautiful groups out there about 1" low, so I bumped up the elevation a hair, so it's ZERO at 100 yards and about 3/4" high at 50 yards. A buddy of mine took a few shots with it and said to himself, "Ooooooo, nice! I gotta get me one of these!". There is a magical feel to the old lever action rifles. You just fall in love with them from the very first shot!

Butch A.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Really nice looking rifle, and the scope is a Glenfield? Cool!

Do you know when your rifle and was manufactured? I assume it's a 30-30?

SS

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there....

Yes, it is a Marlin 30AS, in classic 30-30. Made in 1987 (etched in the bottom of the bolt by Marlin - says "B-87" - I assume Built 1987 ). The scope is a Glenfield 4x32 that I got off eBay and is probably 10, 12, ...maybe 15 years old? I don't know.

The thing that was funny was the way the 30AS looked originally when I bought it. See, my buddy at work owned this rifle since new. Years later he wanted a bigger more powerful rifle, but first, he picked up a huge powerful scope for use with the new rifle. Then, well, he sort of ended up a little short on cash for the bigger rifle, so he figured "what the heck" and had this gigantic 4-12x40AO scope mounted on see-thru rings on the Marlin 30AS! :roll:

It was okay, but I was like, "Daaaaaay-um, a bit of overkill on the scope there, huh?" So, I took it all off, and sold the big scope on eBay. Then I kept the Marlin 30AS as a plain Jane rifle for a while, then decided to beef it up just a little with a nice fixed power 4x scope. She is a real sweet shooter now!

Butch A.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts