Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got it yesterday. a very old acquaintance of my dad's friend is getting rid of some of his stuff. i jumped on the marlin. a few questions:

what is the round capacity for the 336RC .35? i have read both 5 and 6+1 online, but i don't know what year this one is, and i suppose that is something that may have changed over the years.

also, does anyone have any opinions on spring wear and tear from leaving the tube fully loaded?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Wow, congrads on the acquisiton. The age is easily attained. Just print the 1st 3 letters of the serial number, (please not the whole serial number)and some one on the board can tell you the date of manufacture and how to evaluate it.

The capacity will vary according to the length of the mag.

You did really well.

SS

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Congratulations on your acquisition and welcome to the forum.

Common sense tells us that long-term storage with a full magazine COULD eventually weaken the follower spring but I know of no hard data about how much or how long. I personally don't store any firearm with full mags, or even partly full mags, for that matter.

This topic comes up regularly on forums dealing with semi-auto pistols, home defense, etc. Opinions vary.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I won't hurt the spring at all unless it was over compressed which, is unlikely. Springs are made to compress and what wears them out is constant usage. i.e. cycles of compression/decompression. It is likely that the spring in your rifle is good as it won't hurt it at all for it to be compressed over several years.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Gotta say that is one heck of an entrance. I tell you what I'll give you $120, right now. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
As for spring fatigue...

I recently read about a German MP38 that was recovered hidden inside the wall of a farmhouse(?) in europe (in the netherlands if I'm not mistaken) that was being demolished...

the firearm had been hidden there since the 1940's with the magazine fully loaded.

The police were called and took charge of the weapon
(I'm not sure I would have called them) and in the natural course of things tested it., it functioned. the mag spring had not been harmed for sitting fully compressed for 60+ years....

even if the spring is fatigued in the tube of your "new" marlin
the magazine tube spring in a marlin doesn't need to be anywhere
near as fast as the magazine spring in say... a submachinegun magazine?

And I'll bet that replacement magazine springs for a Marlin 336 are cheaper than magazine springs for an MP38:)

AllanD

·
Registered
86 Posts
Unbelievable price on a great rifle and caliber! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts