Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went through the LGS a few days ago and was surprised at how empty the ammo shelves were. Have a bunch of reloading supplies on hand and this is another good year to start loading again.

I have plenty of 6.5 CM's for hunting but need to rough sight it in. Reloads are good for that. Very high pressure cartridge and I generally shoot factory for it. Generally don't load 30-30's as the factory loads always worked well and they were cheap. Don't see many on the shelves this year. Should really take apart my 336W as it shoots two to three shots in a nice groups then changes zero. Usually just sight in cold but it is kind of a PITA. I have a full box of Federal's loaded with the Barnes copper bullets and a box of Federal Fusions for my old waffle top but loading some other ammo would not hurt. I think the Sierra 170's loaded over some LE powder might just be better than the Fusions anyway. Then there is the old 303 Brit. First deer rifle I ever owned. Sometimes I get the urge to pull it out and use it again. The 303 cartridge was one of the best I ever used on deer. My daughter has a 300 Savage and I should load her some ammo. Bought a box of Hornady 150 grain for the Savage last year as the other bullets seemed a bit stiff for it.

We get years like this when reloading seems to make sense.

DEP.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yep, it is good to be somewhat self sufficient in ammo supply. I have bullet molds for everything that I have, including .223 & 6.5 CM. You would be surprised how well cast will shoot (H2O quenched, up to about 2,200+ fps with a gas check).

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your mold for the 6.5. A heavy cast out of a 6.5 would be usable.

DEP

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
6.5 Creed was the most abundant round at Rural King when I was in there last. They had several flavors in multiple boxes. I could fix that by buying one and watch them disappear.
Someone asked me about a home defense gun. I recommended a pump shotgun. There is a lot of bird/small game shot on the shelves. 1 or 2 loads of #7-1/2 anywhere inside a house should take the fight out of a bad guy. Some Hevi-shot #6 turkey loads would do for longer shots.
I was going to load for my new AR 5.56 but dies are out of stock or way over priced so I just bought loaded. When things settle down I will get setup. I am wanting to run them on my Dillon 550 and do prep work on my old Herter's single stage. The only other volume reloading is for my 45ACP target pistol. At 4.2 grains of 231 a shot a couple of pounds of powder goes a long way.

Reactions: marlinluvr

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
What is your mold for the 6.5. A heavy cast out of a 6.5 would be usable.

DEP
I'd have to go out in the barn (casting area) & look, but it is either a Lyman or RCBS & is 170 gr checked. It shoots very well & a buddy also shoots it out of his Arisaka.

Reactions: northmn

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very fortunate over here in the land of crocodiles and drop-bears.

Not too many shortages of reloading components. Powder supply is variable, but I just buy it when it is available, long before I'm at risk of running low.

Did a quick stock-take the other day & I reckon I should be OK for everything for the next two years if I just hunt and stay away from the range. 😁

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Stopped by my local handnoading store today. What a disappointment! I have double of this store in my basement in both variety and quantity. He didn't even have MTM ammo boxes in stock. This is actually a pretty big distributor as well. When I said I had tough shopping, he said he sells everything he gets in an hour after it gets unloaded off the truck. This is the worst I've ever seen it in my lifetime.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Went through the LGS a few days ago and was surprised at how empty the ammo shelves were. Have a bunch of reloading supplies on hand and this is another good year to start loading again.

I have plenty of 6.5 CM's for hunting but need to rough sight it in. Reloads are good for that. Very high pressure cartridge and I generally shoot factory for it. Generally don't load 30-30's as the factory loads always worked well and they were cheap. Don't see many on the shelves this year. Should really take apart my 336W as it shoots two to three shots in a nice groups then changes zero. Usually just sight in cold but it is kind of a PITA. I have a full box of Federal's loaded with the Barnes copper bullets and a box of Federal Fusions for my old waffle top but loading some other ammo would not hurt. I think the Sierra 170's loaded over some LE powder might just be better than the Fusions anyway. Then there is the old 303 Brit. First deer rifle I ever owned. Sometimes I get the urge to pull it out and use it again. The 303 cartridge was one of the best I ever used on deer. My daughter has a 300 Savage and I should load her some ammo. Bought a box of Hornady 150 grain for the Savage last year as the other bullets seemed a bit stiff for it.

We get years like this when reloading seems to make sense.

DEP.
DEP,

Went by a local reloading wholesaler today. The only primers were shotgun. The only bullets were lead free hunting, the high price stuff. He did have a pretty good selection of powder on hand.

He has a huge stock of lead alloy ingots and rejected cast bullets from some estate sale. I picked up 40# of alloy on the cheap! By the drop ping test, wheel weight ingots.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Supplies are very low around here. The LGS has ammo but the prices are outrageous! They can't keep shotguns in stock especially the lower to mid range stuff. The high end stuff and big rifles are available for house payments. AR's are $1,400 without sights another $75 for the special magazine loading device through the ejection port & Mini-14's are $1,200. Pump shotguns are selling for $700- $900. 38 cal Gold dot was $80 box, CCI Stingers $17 box/50, CCI Segmented were $20 box/50, Federal 22lr $100 brick/500. Remington Accutips or Hornady SST sabot slugs in 12/20ga $25 box/5, 12ga foster slugs are $13 box/5, 38 HP $60 box/50, Federal 357mag HP $35 box/50. I bought all the SRP they had CCI 8 sleeves of 100 $70 for 800 SRP. Hot items had limits of 1 per person.

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
I bought a brick of WW small rifle primers and a brick of cci Br-2 large ifle primers along with a can of Levereloution powder today and with tax the total cost was 93 dollars. Not too bad I guess. Dealer had to go in the back for the ww small rifle primers, said he was rationing them.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went through the primer issue a few years ago and started keeping more on hand. These shortages keep popping up so I also keep a couple of boxes of factory cartridges on hand now but shot up a bunch of 30-30's last fall. So now I will just reload for it. Kind of appreciate the cartridge as I can also cast bullets for it and not lose anything on performance. Shoots very well with cast at higher velocities. Then there's my 38-55. Letting them get closer is more fun anyway.

DEP

·
Registered
19,694 Posts
Got more handgun ammo, powder AND primers than my local BPS! They usually have about...ZERO! Still pickin' up a little here and there! Just cleaned up a few pistol rounds and need to get them loaded up! The local Wally still has shotguns at pre panic prices, but don't need one of those either!

·
Registered
67 Posts
As prices here are crazy, my buddy went to Wally world as he's always looking for ammo. He's goes often enough that they know him & talk for a while. The guy tells him he just missed a great deal. The employee tells him he had to mark a down a Savage .270 bolt action. Rifles aren't a big seller in Southern NY. Guy got on the phone and started calling people to come buy the rifle, someone walked by and overheard the conversation. The guy insisted on buying it, $79. I would have bought it for sure, maybe never even open the box again.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got back in and checked ammo supplies in another town and store. They had about half of what they normally do. Some 6.5CM but when I looked at the prices I ended up buying a can of Superperformance just to reload what I have. May try switching to 140 grain bullets.

DEP

·
Registered
14,148 Posts
Supplies of loaded ammunition, powder, and projectiles is OK locally and online. Not great, but adequate. No primers to be had, unless you give in to the scalpers. I don't see domestic ammo and component supply ever returning to 'normal', there's too much unrest and instability going on.

Reactions: northmn

·
Registered
968 Posts
It's pretty bare bones here. My wife decided it was time to get a CWP. Big problem with that idea is the required training classes are booked up for months.

·
Super Moderator
11,788 Posts
I agree it is a good time to have reloading stuff. Stocked up whenever I could over the years but always told myself the future ME would appreciate the investment! About the only thing I'm running low on is lead for casting. Actually working on a bulk deal for lead from a wrecked sailboat right now. Buy it cheap and stack it deep!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Supplies of loaded ammunition, powder, and projectiles is OK locally and online. Not great, but adequate. No primers to be had, unless you give in to the scalpers. I don't see domestic ammo and component supply ever returning to 'normal', there's too much unrest and instability going on.
It will be like everything else. It will normalize again but the "new normal" will be an increase in prices When primers were scarce before and became available again they were double or more than double in price and never went down. 22 LRs did the same thing.

DEP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts