Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
I need a shotgun for running squirrels though. what cal do you recommend?
As you can see, I hunt them with a terrier dog.... shot-shells are already a scarce commodity.
I apologize, but i'm in new territory here.

I have found this site-
Can you tell me what you figure I need?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Navajo,
I believe all of those SittingFox barrels are going to be cylinder bore with no (or minimal) choke.

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
okay, thanks.....

·
Premium Member
13,859 Posts
I am well stocked up and looking forward to making some smoke soon as I get home in February. I feel in love with black powder last spring. Everyone that shot my muzzle loaders had to go buy them some!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Yeah i been looking at them but I wanted to be sure i got one with a tight choke.... was hoping someone here had one that they used for small game before i spend the money.
Conventional tight chokes can be a real pita in muzzle loaders. Most experienced ml shotguners go what is called a jug choke. Like loading a cylinder bore. They machine a recess just about 1-1/2" from the muzzle maybe 3" long. The area at the muzzle is tapered like a conventional choke. Shot expands into the chamber then is constricted like normal.
I have an original 10 bore that shoots full and fuller. The guy that did it passed and I am not sure who does it now.

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
well....hmmmm.
Let me ask this question, what did old timers do before there was choked barrels? did they use a certian shot, or maybe more of it?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I would guess more shot.
Less powder more lead kills them dead. I have heard this a lot from old timers.
I had a Navy Arms (made by Pieeta) that was choked Imp and Mod. It loaded hard through the Mod barrel. I used a short starter to get the .125 thick over powder wad in straight.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I am very stocked up on all types of BP and substitutes, lead, sabots, caps and 209 primers along with quite a few BP muzzle loading shotguns, rifles and revolvers. I am imagining the prices on those prices will climbing very soon. ROA's used to be plentiful and are few and far between for reasonable price along with the Italian remakes. I have a very solid BP/Muzzleloading portfolio along with my other stock. It's going to be a whole new abnormal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same thought. I stocked up on powder, percussion caps 10-11, and 209 primers. I figure the panic will eventually hit that too.
I think it already has.
The Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse in my area are all shelf empty. I couldn't even find 22 cal pellets.
Let the hunts begin.
My Modern stocks are fine. I just didn't think far enough ahead to prep my black powder stuff.
Live, Learn, and Pay Way More...LOL.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
yesterday i ordered 5 more lbs of black. a lot of it is dwindling away just like smokeless. if you want it you better get it now! and keep that powder dry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: PaulMooney

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
With the current shortage of loading components I figured now is a perfect time to get back into muzzleloading. Fortunately black powder is readily available so ordered several pounds of 2F, 3F and a little 4F. Haven't shot BP in about 10 years so looking forward to making some gunsmoke in the near future...

If that box was mailed to my home in California a posse of multi Federal alphabet agencies would be lined up following the delivery truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own several handmade ML's that are pricey to say the least. Track of the Wolf used to carry some very nice pieces from many makers. I find Black Powder is getting scarce, Pyrodex is still plentiful. I need more flints and some percussion caps. I have molds etc for all my pieces, mostly 50 or 54 and a 20 gauge (.62) smoothbore. I also have one 50 cal Cap lock Hawken style, that I made from a Track kit that turned out well. If i can stock some lead, and Pyrodex for emergency use, I'll look for some Goex FFG/FFFG and a small quantity of FFFFg for priming....I'll be set. I have never worried about holding off the govt hordes etc. I leave that fantasy to those that seem to enjoy it. The BP is fun to shoot, just a bit onerous at times cleaning up. It is what it is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own several handmade ML's that are pricey to say the least. Track of the Wolf used to carry some very nice pieces from many makers. I find Black Powder is getting scarce, Pyrodex is still plentiful. I need more flints and some percussion caps. I have molds etc for all my pieces, mostly 50 or 54 and a 20 gauge (.62) smoothbore. I also have one 50 cal Cap lock Hawken style, that I made from a Track kit that turned out well. If i can stock some lead, and Pyrodex for emergency use, I'll look for some Goex FFG/FFFG and a small quantity of FFFFg for priming....I'll be set. I have never worried about holding off the govt hordes etc. I leave that fantasy to those that seem to enjoy it. The BP is fun to shoot, just a bit onerous at times cleaning up. It is what it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would suggest that you look at Traditions rifles, then contact Bobby Hoyt and have him make a smoothbore barrel for whichever you get. It will come cylinder bore. You can always have it threaded for screw in chokes if you really need it.

Jug choking has been around for a long time.

The following is from the Tradrag site, quoting Captchee, regarding jug choking:

"it works just as good IMO as a modern restricting type choke.
personally I'm not much on chokes for muzzle loaders.
with a muzzle loader you have pretty much an infinite number of load combinations.
If done properly you can get a full choke or F+ pattern from a cylinder bore.
Remember the rule is an equal amount of powder to shot (by volume). From there if you want a wider pattern, add a little more powder or reduce the amount of shot.
On the other side if you want a tighter pattern, add more shot or reduce the powder.
Then you start into working with wads and card combinations.
Once you get the pattern you want for the birds your chasing, write it down."

21 - 36 of 36 Posts