Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the current shortage of loading components I figured now is a perfect time to get back into muzzleloading. Fortunately black powder is readily available so ordered several pounds of 2F, 3F and a little 4F. Haven't shot BP in about 10 years so looking forward to making some gunsmoke in the near future...

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
I have the same ROA that you do and a CVA Optima V2 which I use every year during the ML season. Sounds like a great idea--shoot them more now that modern reloading components are few.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
We have started a local ML match here also & like you, many of the guys that have them have not shot them in a few years. Our first match was one offhand shot, closest to the nose at a charging Grizzly target, (You do not have time for a 2nd shot!), but we put a few more into it also.
Nice bunch of guns, I'm drooling over that Ruger Old Army!
Around here, in the last week, all of the caps have dried up too.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I agree completely and nice duo. I was planning on stopping on my way home and grabbing a couple more pounds of 2f and 3f.

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
Pietta/Remington New Model Army. My favorite Italian. As accurate as any handgun, any make, I've ever shot in this lifetime. Cartridge or cap and ball. A real success story.
Picture1028181539_1 - Edited (1).jpg

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
View attachment 834190
Is that an ash stock on that rifle? Seeing a few real muzzle loaders pictured which is good. That group shown is done by round ball also. Enjoyable pass time. I have an English Game rifle I should finish up using a lock similar to that one. I built another rifle using that lock and had ot weaken the springs a bit as it would shatter aflint after a couple of shots.

DEP
keep your powder dry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
Do any of ya'll know where I can buy a good percussion shotgun for squirrel hunting?

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
Yeah i been looking at them but I wanted to be sure i got one with a tight choke.... was hoping someone here had one that they used for small game before i spend the money.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
With the current shortage of loading components I figured now is a perfect time to get back into muzzleloading.
Now that we've lost control of the Senate, if the Leftists get their way, all we will be able to buy will be muzzleloaders.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Here is the Grizzly target that I mentioned before with my traditional Pedersoli .45 cal. cap lock rifle.
Like other Pedersoli single shots that I own, a very nice smooth bore! First shot was on the bridge of the nose.
Griz tgt.jpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do any of ya'll know where I can buy a good percussion shotgun for squirrel hunting?
32 cal is my favorite . now deer season is over I enjoy putting some bunnies on the table. nothing like putting some snow shoes on and taking a walk down the field early morning and at dusk. if I get bored puttering in the garage I load it up open the door and shoot at a stump @30 yrds .

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
32 cal is my favorite . now deer season is over I enjoy putting some bunnies on the table. nothing like putting some snow shoes on and taking a walk down the field early morning and at dusk. if I get bored puttering in the garage I load it up open the door and shoot at a stump @30 yrds .
so (excuse me for being stupid)
I need to just get a 32 cal smoothbore kit?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts