Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing the used guns and found a Marlin 17V, 97% condition with rings for $165. I'm having it shipped for my son so he has a mate to his 882 SSV 22WMR. I wonder which he'll like best?? They also had a Remington M722 in 257 Roberts for less than $300. Good rifles! ~Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Andrew--This is JC From the old Marlin chat--I have a question. I have a M722 in 257 & its a wonderfully good shooting rifle but I'm currently haveing extraction problems. It will pull the empty from the chamber but it won't throw it up & out of the reciever once its clear out of the chamber. I did try cking the spring that shoves the plunger into the case that serves as thrust to expell the case--I actually even stretched it a tad to see if that made a difference. NO--then I sent away & bought a new one--which it actually had the same overall tension as the old one did--so that didn't help a thing. I actually think its the extractor itself--although I have examined it with a magnifying glass & can see no definite absence of its edge. Maybe--just maybe my brass has its edge on the rim worn some since they have been reloaded & cleaned many times. Actually I believe its high time I phased my old brass out & got some new. Thru the years my cleaning method has been a drill with an oversized chuck & useing OOO or sometimes OOOO steel wool. That is a little more abrasive than a tumbler that we use now. But its an everytime thing--you'd think that it would try once in a while. Remington says its a obsolete part--Numerich doesn't have 1 & even then they'd be a used part. Someone said that there is a way for a gunsmith to install a different type extractor ??? What do you think is my best solution? This gun will cut its holes at 100yds easy with my reloads & its been checkered (originals were not) a good gun--sorry bout the long post---JC

G

·
JC,

You're thinking of a Sako style extractor, to replace the Remington riveted one. Honestly, I don't think the extractor is your problem though. It definitely sounds like an ejector issue, and not enough pressure to push the case out and away from the bolt face. These problems are difficult to diagnose via the internet, so I can't say for sure without actually looking at it. I'd recommend taking it to a reputable gunsmith and have him/her take a look at it. If it's something simple and you want to do it yourself, do the gunsmith a favor and buy something from the shop to repay him for his time.

It does sound like an ejector issue though...

G

·
BTW,

Andrew...you wouldn't happen to have a spare 581 magazine latch spring? :oops:

I kind of broke the one on my 17Aguila, fitting it to that BR stock. (Dammit, Mr. Murphy was running rampant that day!) I picked up some 1/32 spring steel stock and will attempt to just make a suitable replacement, but if you've got a spare... :wink:

It sure does look pretty though... :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts