Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a well used 1893 Grade B today. It is in 32-40. Both sights are replacements and the receiver had the Hepburn screw holes. The serial number was 383,000 something. The finish was VERY brown and both pieces of wood were repaired and refinished. This would have been a nice Turnbull gun! $695 was the asking price. It was a consignment gun, so the dealer didn't have too much leeway on the price.

·
Registered
397 Posts
$695 sounds a little steep for a Grade B with poor finish and repaired / refinished wood. Also the correct sights are going to cost you another hundred or so. I'd pass on this one.

WB

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't have given it a second thought. The gun was on consignment, thus, the dealer had no room to bargain. The bore would have required re-lining, also. It was rough! I guess it was one of those things where......if I coulda got it for less, AND.....if I had $1600 to $2000 more, Doug Turnbull could have worked his magic on it. Aside from 336s and newer models, this 1893 is the first old timer I have seen on a rack in the past 30 or so years up here!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The grade B guns used to Bluebook at less than the standard guns, but recently the grade B guns are getting the same prices as standard guns. I think this is due to two reasons, the great calibers that grade B guns are chambered in, and the relative rarity of these guns.
I gave $750 for a 90% grade B in .38-55 about 5 years ago, and several people told me it was no bargain at the time. Now they are fetching a lot more in that condition! I looked at numerous grade B guns over several years, just trying to find a nice one, and never saw one in good shape at any price!
Around my area, 1893's in .32-40 or .38-55, and 50% condition bring anywhere from $600+, if they have decent bores. I know of one in .32-40 for sale, that has an etra dovetail for a full length scope, and a screw in the stock, but is a little better than 50%, and the seller wants $400. I also purchased a model 1893 in .30-30 recently, for $500, that was about 70%. The .30-30 and .32 HPS usually bring a bit less than other calibers.
What may be too high in my area, or another area, may be just right in your town, due to the lack of availability. Don't wait until you have ALL the money to buy one! They'll only go up in value while you wait! I'd buy one with a good bore, and all there (including sights) and then start saving to fix it up, if that's your plan.
Good luck with your search!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts