Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Cabela and Midway catalogs they have several of the metal targets that reset themselves. Has anyone used these with the lever rifle?

What about other fun targets? I am teaching my grandson to shoot and I want to give variety besides paper. I have used water filled milk jugs with the .30-06 but don't know what a .357 will do to one yet!

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Clay pidgeons work nicely..........Grapefruits..........waterballoons

·
Registered
355 Posts
16, 20, or 24 oz plastic pop bottles filled with water blow up nicely with most 357 loads.

Clay birds are also great. Dirt clods(dry) give a very satisfying puff of dust too.

Like shum8 said, fruit, and vegetables also make very good targets. Tomatos, and apples are my favorites.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Several years ago, shot a watermelon on end at 25 yards with a 22-250......bulett (fragments) penetrated about 10 inches, and turned the entire inside to an almost rubbery feeling mass of stringy muck where the imparted shock ruptured all the cells and it seemed that 2 or 3 gallons of juice ran out.........

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
For a youngster to start with a waterfilled balloon works well gives a sense of what the gun will do and it's destructive force. For plinking, I like metal targets and make my own spinners out of 1/2 plate. Novelty targets include, playing cards, Necco candy, balloons on fish line (fun on windy days) old pics of the mother in law, and ex wife.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
swany said:
old pics of the mother in law, and ex wife.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'v used alot of them metal spinners, they last forever as long as you only shoot 22 at them. Even the 1/2" ones for mag pistol break after awhile shooting them with pistol rounds from a rifle, least mine always did. Its fun shooting them with
rifles too & they dont break them as much but poke holes thru instead.
I make my own now using old lawn mower blades. I get them red 4 or 5 inches from the end & twist the ends 90 degrees. You need to chop a few inches off one end so it'll stop upright. I bent a length of galvanized grounding rod into a horseshoe with sharp bends, maybe 18" horizontal & thread it thru the blade centers. Drilled 6 holes & seperated them with washers & cotter pins.
I gotta get someone to weld the washers in place as the blades spinning eventually cuts the cotter pins but its an easy fix.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I like to shoot eggs. Nice splat. And cans of soda. I used to have a connection that got me ones that went out of date and were dented. I miss him.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
I also like blowing up old produce, an old potato is perfect for blasting with a 22. Surprisingly, lettuce blows up real good, especially if you wet it first. Hit the grocery store on the way to the range, and sometimes you'll be able to pick a whole case of wilted lettuce for nothing.

But my all-time, no-doubt favorite, 100% recycleable/biodegradeable target is ice. In winter I go to any bluffs I can find with icicles on it, and blast them from the bottoms up. 22's work great, but 357's and 44's are really fun, too. And if the sun is just right, when you hit them the glowing shards of ice crystals glow like little firebrands, very cool to watch. Almost makes me wish it was winter again!

PJ

·
Registered
186 Posts
try pumpkins, punch two holes in top, one to vent and one to pump water in. 1894p 44 mag 240 gr xtp at 25 yards= 360 degree plume of pumpkin debris. :D Of course one gallon jugs of water are my favorite. My son loves watching them explode and wishes his BB gun could do that.

G

·
I'm kinda partial to paper targets with a definite aiming point for working up loads and then measuring group size.

However for fun shooting I like metalic silhouettes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts