Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KNOTTYBUMPO, my long time hunting partner, and I got in a little turkey hunting trip back in april.

the trip was over a weekend so we only got 2 days to hunt. knotty had the tag and i was just along to call and offer up opinions and advise!

at daylight of the first morning, we could hear the old gobblers sounding off all around us letting the world know who was in charge. of course not one came with in a mile of us all day. late in the morning the wind got up to gale force and we went to actively looking for the varmints.

about 4pm and after 12 hours of looking for them we found a group of turkeys way out on the end of a hay field. there were at least 2 gobblers and a bunch of hens. i knew we were not going to be calling those gobblers in with all those hens hanging about. so we gave up for the day.

we did get to see turkey and while out ranging around we had found a few morel mushrooms. the mushrooms alone made the trip worth it!

as niether one of us had gotten in more than about an hours sleep the night before and we had been been hunting all day, after some supper, we went straight to bed. the sun was still shining when i faded off.

4:00am next morning we were up and feelin lots fresher.

we walked on the back of an 80 acre field where we had seen the turkeys the evening before.

knotty set up his double bull turkey blind at the edge of the field. while he was doing that i set out 3 SKEERY turkey decoys. 1 put out 1 jake and 2 hens. the jake was only about 15 yards from the blind and the hens were about 25. these decoys are made of rubber and you have to blow them up like a balloon. the belief is that any turkey gobbler interested in the spread will come in and try to kick the snot out of the jake before trying his luck on the hens. that's why the jake is LOTS CLOSER!

knotty has an old winchester model 12 with a polychoke on it that he uses for his turkey hunting. it really does not pattern all that well and we try to let the bird get in as close as possible before he pops the cap on them! the pattern is pretty wide already at 25 yards.

before i could get the decoys blew up and set out, 2 big old gobblers start to gobbling in the woods right behind us. when i was done and the blind was in good shape i got out a gobbler call and drove them into a frenzy. i would gobble and they would gobble back.

after a bit i quit and made a few hen tree calls and as it got light enough finally gave a fly down cackle.

soon, it got quiet and i knew the gobblers had gone to the ground. after about a half an hour or so i saw a turkey way out in the field in front of us. i gave it a few cuts to see what it would do. it actually had got past us as it was under a hill until coming into view. the tukey started into a strut but the minute it got its eyes on those decoys, they ran for it! i say they because when the first one took off, there was another right behind it that we had not seen yet.

i had a lot of misgivings about what had happened. did they see the blind? did the decoys scare them off. there was something there that surely spooked them.

it was really early yet. i heard a noise that sounded like a dog way off yapping. it sounded pretty strange though. as i sat there trying to figure out what had gone wrong over the next minutes i began to realise that the noise i kept hearing could be a turkey that was yelping and choking off a gobble at the end.

i tried using two hen calls at once hoping that two hens might make it worth the effort for an old gobbler to come acalling.

shortly, knotty says, there's one right there!

i peeped out the side of the blind and there was a big ole gobbler about 50 or 60 yards out to the right side of the blind. he was heading in a direction that would go right past those decoys. the minute he slapped eyes on them , he went to full strut.

i picked up a small slate call and popped a diaphram call in my mouth. i gave him the old one cluck and purr routine. he walked right past those decoys going around that little jake. he then turned to face us and was still out to far for knotty's old shotgun to make a for sure clean kill.

the old gobbler lined up on that last hen decoy. his tail was all fanned out and he started spittin and drummin. he would do this for a few moments and then take one or two of those stiff steps forward. this went on for some minutes as he got steadily closer.

knotty was getting nervous. i whispered to let him keep on coming and be ready. it was really tight in that blind with that long shotgun. the barrel was pushing on the netting in front.

at last , the old turkey was only about 2 steps from that hen and i was starting to worry for the old girls reputation! i whispered that i was going to try to make the turkey raise his head up for a better shot and for knotty to be ready when he did.

i putted, i danger called and i whistled dixie! the old gobbler paid me no mind! i fugured the old hen decoy was about to get a new job description!

bout that time the old gobbler turned sideways where knotty could get in a decent shot at his noggin and that's just what he did.

BANG! at the shot the old gobbler went down.......so did the hen decoy. her reputation was saved but her career was over. the turkey flopped and the decoy hissed. the blind had a large hole in it. the old gobbler was 20 lbs and had a 9 1/4" beard.

we laughed all the way to the truck........

·
Registered
264 Posts
Excellent story squacks! Thanx for sharin that one.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts