Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always amazes how accurate my Marlin .444 XLR is. Mine is stamped JM and shoots like a dream with the factory load it was designed around. When I do my part 1 MOA is no problem. Here is part of a target I shot at 200 yards today. In all fairness this was part of a six shot group that was actually 2.37 MOA. These were shots 1, 3 and 4 out of the six, but I am pretty sure it was me not the Marlin that created the "flyers." Regardless I am preparing for a cow elk hunt and this is a very small "Minute of Elk."
.444 Marlin 265gr Hdy FTX M .jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
No Elk can withstand that kind of accuracy, not everyone knows about a Fat Cow over a Poor Bull!

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
sweeeeeeet!!!!

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
That's some good shooting for sure!!:beer:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Really nice shooting, wish I could do that we'll.

·
Administrator
28,298 Posts
Shooting like that fills freezers with Elk. I can smell the Elk steaks on the grill now. :biggrin:

Good shooting!

Jack

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
Good shooting!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is some fine shootin right there!!!

·
Premium Member
15,447 Posts
darn good shootin'

·
Registered
492 Posts
That is minute of coyote, elk will be a done deal!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking at your pic, I can just about taste the fresh backstrap.
Might I ask what round/load your shooting?
These were shot with factory Hornady 265 gr FTX loads. I am able to duplicate both the power and accuracy with this load, which was the maximum factory load awhile back, not sure what the max is now.

47.5 grains of A1680 in factory FTX (short) brass generating just over 2200 FPS about 6 feet from the muzzle.

I tried to load up past max stepping up in 1/2 grain increments to 49.5 grains, but accuracy declined and the bigger loads were compressed and made it hard to seat a bullet without an excessive crimp. There were absolutely no signs of excessive pressure either with the brass or rifle. Maybe Marlin should have made a .444 Marlin Magnum that used this bullet in the original length case. This would have required a completely new receiver and probably would not have been commercially viable, but I bet it would be fun.

Thanks for the feedback. I love this rifle!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts