Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Good evening fellow Marlin Owners

1K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  Valkman 
#1 ·
Just wanted to say Hi. I just purchased a 1982 336 in 30-30 winchester. Went to the range today and put about 20 rounds thru the rifle. When the firing line went "cold" I left the action open. When I returned to fire the lever was stuck open and even with the help of the range officer had a very hard time getting the bolt forward. At first I thought it was the hammer extension but I am now home and removed the extension and started to move the lever action and now have it stuck again. Any help would be appreciated. Another problem encountered at the range was I was unable to feed a round into the magazine. I live in Westchester County NY, yea I know! Is there any good gunsmiths you would recommend? Thank you for your feedback

#2 ·
Remove the magazine cap from the muzzle end, it's under a little pressure from the spring. Remove the follower that's behind the spring and inspect the tube. Follow this link for a breakdown. 336A Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts

#3 ·
First thing I'd check is the loading gate screw,if it's loose you will have issues. Don't ape tighten it...just snugged good. Second here's a link to our gunsmithing section in the reference Library. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/how-disassemble-clean/20184-disassembly-assembly-1895-pics.html
Follow it and you should have no problems, trouble with schematics is it shows the blow up..not how it comes apart or goes together. Poke around in the Library, there's all kinds of help in there for everyone to use. Mr fixit

#4 ·
Make sure the Follower is staying in the magazine tube and not protruding into the reciever. Someone may have installed the wrong one, installed it backwards or it's worn out. And don't be surprised if you find a "homemade" plug in the magazine.

#5 ·
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

#7 ·
To assist with understanding the Marlin lever action. Eli Chaps pointed out it does not represent the Marlin specifically, as the lifter rises when the lever starts on the close cycle....at least I think that's what he stated. Hope it helps someone understand more about our firearms. Mr fixit
Firing Cycle of A Lever Action Rifle

#10 ·
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. Hope you get your 336 issue sorted out.They really are a well made and reliable rifle, the fix should be something simple.

#14 ·
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

#15 ·
Welcome aboard!

#16 ·
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country.
A great place for friends to gather around the campfire and visit

#20 ·
Howdy and welcome. Sorry to hear of your 336 issues. They are usually very reliable.

#22 ·
Welcome from the great plains of Kansas!! Enjoy the forum.

#25 ·
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.