Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin 336W made in 1986 that I was setting the scope for deer hunting later this year. I'm using a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40, and shot Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt Soft Point Ammo. The target was at 100 yards and I was standing. The grouping is 5 inches with 20 rounds. Good enough for deer?

336 100yds RCL 150gr.jpg

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I'll tell you my opinion....

For a guy standing on his own two legs shooting free hand, no target sling or shooting jacket to put 20 rounds into 5.5" at 100 yards is some damn fine shooting and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Plenty good for taking deer, nice shooting! :congrats:

Reactions: RRomeo and dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Dave is right on the money. Some might do better, most will do worse. Funny how many people can't shoot near as well when someone else is around as they can when by themselves. DP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I scoped it at 50 yards and set it to shoot about an 1.5 inches above the center ring. I then moved to 100 yards and this is what I got. It took about 15 minutes for me to shoot all 20 rounds, so not too fast.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Just curious, how old are you and how long have you been shooting?

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Yep.. I'd say good 'nuff! Have fun, and good luck to you. :biggrin:

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am 53, but have been shooting since boy scouts. I've mainly shot 22's, but in the last few years got the 336, an SKS, a Mosin 91-30, and a few handguns and a Mossberg 500 field shot gun. I've mostly bow hunted, but want to transition to gun for dear and turkey.

·
Registered
969 Posts
charlie,

Very fine shooting! There are a lot of deer hunters out there that would have trouble putting 2 or 3 consecutive shots on a pie plate at 100 yards while standing, unrested. Let me know when the jerky is ready.

BB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts