Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does a gold trigger on a 336 30-30 signify?

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Nothing that I could ever find out. It sure isn't trigger pull or anything heavy duty. Just a black trigger painted gold to signify something fancy. Now thats what I read on a forum and couldn't swear by it.

fknipfer

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are gold trigger guns generally Wal-Mart guns? (birch)

I have the chance of buying a used one for $200. I haven't seen it yet, but the guy mentioned the gold trigger.

I'll let you know what the guns looks like when I see it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think all the older ones have the gold trigger, a sort of trademark like the silly "bullseye"
My 71 336 has the gold trigger, at that time at least it was standard issue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gcs said:
I think all the older ones have the gold trigger, a sort of trademark like the silly "bullseye"
My 71 336 has the gold trigger, at that time at least it was standard issue.
Thanks! Now I'm really interested!

·
Registered
422 Posts
IIRC , all pre 1973 Marlins had the gold trigger. It was standard.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, the gun's serial number starts 090XXXXX 1991 right?

It's a 30 AW. The gun looks 95-98% (based on my limited knowledge). Did the stocks back then have the bullseye trademark? This one doesn't. Also, I can jiggle (back and forth) the trigger even with the hammer cocked. Is that normal? (limited knowledge again). The gun looks better than the one in lay away. Decisions decisions...

HELP!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
The gold trigger is on most that I have seen.. the AW was made for K-Mart I believe.. it's hardwood not walnut, but still the same metal as 336 and just as good of rifle.. yep they have some trigger slop in them..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think its a little tacky but my is a shooter!!! So I'll let it pass.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info! Any info on the bullseye trademark not being on an 30AW?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep the bullseye only goes on Walnut stocked rifles.. not hardwood..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! You've helped a lot! I've made up my mind. (I think)

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
My 30AW (Walmart, not K-Mart, I believe) has a gold trigger. Curiously, the parts price in the Brownells catalog is less for the gold trigger than the blued variety.

And guys, they are all hardwood stocks. They are just either walnut or birch - both hardwoods.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
The wiggle in the trigger is a "Marlin thing" and not to worry about. They all do it, so yes, it's normal.

The gold trigger is insignificant and certainly doesn't make any model "special" just because of the gold trigger. It seems odd to me but there are folks out there that think any gun with gold on it is somehow special, collectible, more valuable, etc. People are strange! :wink:

The bullseye was only placed on walnut stocked guns and really means nothing other than that. Some like it, some don't. Sometimes it falls out. Sometimes people think it is where a sling swivel stud should be installed. That is not its purpose, either. It's just a trademark-type adornment.

Finally, other than individual idiosyncracies all the 336 style leverguns made by Marlin function the same. In some cases a less expensive version will shoot better than a top-of-the-line gun. In other cases it's just the opposite.

I own a Revelation Model 200 30-30 made by Marlin for Western Auto over 40 years ago. It doesn't even say "Marlin" anywhere on the gun. It has a beautifully figured walnut stock, no gold trigger, no bullseye. But man, oh man, does it shoot! It is more accurate than many of the bolt guns I see at the local range.

Welcome to MarlinLand.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
zuikowarrior said:
My 30AW (Walmart, not K-Mart, I believe) has a gold trigger. Curiously, the parts price in the Brownells catalog is less for the gold trigger than the blued variety.

And guys, they are all hardwood stocks. They are just either walnut or birch - both hardwoods.
I understand they are both hardwood,, but only the walnut gets the bullseye..
and K=mart here sold the AW's.. Walmart wasen't even in the picture in our area when they were selling that model.. I know my nephew purchased one.. .. I have purchased the 336 W from Walmart.. they could have also sold the AW model I have no clue..

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
For quite a few years all Marlin leverguns had the gold trigger. Just a trademark thing like the bullseye, not denoting anything special.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Thanks, Gunjunkie. I continue to learn from this bunch.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
zuikowarrior said:
Thanks, Gunjunkie. I continue to learn from this bunch.
I was hoping someone would just chime in on the AW so we can have the answer as to what store sold them for sure.. then we would know.. LOL.. All I know for sure is the bullseye deal in the walnut..

Saw a Winchester 64 today... 3/4 tube 30-30 for 350.oo was tempting as hell if I wasn't broke.. nice rifle..

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I stopped in at the WalMart in South Arlington (Texas) today and they have a 30AW .30/30 for $299.99 in the display case. A little nicer than mine - cut checkering in the birch stock (mine is pressed into the wood) hooded front sight, and a camo sling. May be old stock, WalMart online currently does not show it available.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts