Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for information on the cartridge overall lenght to the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain 9mm? I search this site and could not find any info.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charlie98 said:
Speer #14 manual gives 1.120" OAL for the 124grn.
charlie98,

Now I can load some up for testing. Pick up two boxes of the gold dot for reloading.

Thanks for the information. I owe you one.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I measured a factory loaded Speer Gold dot 9mm 124g. It was 1.122".
M.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is very close. I will see what happens this weekend with my loads. ;D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This morning I took the 9 out for a test drive. The Speer gold dot 124 grains perform very well with no jams. I shot 50 rounds and another 50 with the Hornady 124 grain XTP. I am happy with both. In our area the XTP is very popular on the store shelves but the Speer gold dots are very hard to find. Now I have two favorite bullets that I can use for the 9mm. I used a combination of the overall length of 1.09, 1.10 and 1.120 with 4.2 grains of Titegroup powder on a new Remington case and the XTP with used cases from different brands.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Overall Length is very important for the 9mm. Here's a tidbit from Speer. They say to use a light crimp because the 9mm headspaces on the case mouth. Test neck tension by pushing the bullet of loaded rounds against the reloading bench. If it can be easily moved deeper in the case, malfunctions can occur. Loads that produced 28,000 cup went to 62,000 cup when bullets were seated .030" deeper. That's why Speer uses a case cannelure under the bullet in their factory rounds.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dogjaw said:
That's why Speer uses a case cannelure under the bullet in their factory rounds.
This is a good reason to use a properly working or built sizing die. Some dies are overly sizing the cases and you can see a bulge when the bullet is seated. In my opinion it wouldn't hurt anything but doesn’t look good. I tested the Speer and Hornady of the same bullet weight and they both have different over all lenght. I think the Speer has more bearing surface and that's why they spec out the differents in lenght.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts