Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm cheap by any standard except my Grandfather McLeod's.

One box of Hornady 444 brass, $63. Throw in some taxes and we are talking a $1.30 a case. What am I missing or is this just another example of grab the counter Canadian shooter the fun is about to start!

I went out shopping to my favorite shops and some new big box stores. I expected to see bags of Rem 444 brass hanging on the displays for $20 (ok I missed by a decade or two), none. Two lonely boxes of Hornady brass for $63 each! Then I saw Nosler 30-06 brass for $60 so this trend can't be about odd size brass.

In case of a supply problem is this the short cases I hear about? If so how short? Anyone reload with this stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Hey Canuck...
I don't know if Midway ships to Canada, but I don't know why they wouldn't. They have Rem. 444 cases available now. (100 for $66.99)
They have Hornady 444 cases back order only. (50 for $45.99)

I didn't check Graf's. They have a retail outlet about 20 miles from me so I never have them ship anything I just pick it up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Bob, you guessed it. We have to pay extra for the privilege.
I was able to get some from one of the CGN site sponsors (Jo Brooks).
They ordered it in for me, from Brownell's I think, and I got it about
3 months later. This was their regular re-stocking order.
I think it was $55 for 50

American law says we can't import gun stuff without a permit.
A permit costs $100/transaction, so it needs to be a large enough
order to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, brass, bullets, scopes, primers, powder, gun parts, optical sights are all off limits to Canadians. Your Pres. Clinton closed that door and Homeland Security locked it. In a way it is sad because the biggest loser is the American small business man who is denied access to a reasonable and willing market. The big players can afford to jump the hoops and pass on the cost.

I'll keep looking for Rem. I have a couple hundred older cases but wanted to top up for future protection from price increases. Looks like the future is here already.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Canuck Bob You made my day in a bad way(Yea, brass, bullets, scopes, primers, powder, gun parts, optical sights are all off limits to Canadians. Your Pres. Clinton closed that door and Homeland Security) My humble apology but I didn't vote for that degenerate ;D
The leverloution cases are the short ones.
I bought Starline brass $22 for 50 rns of 45-70 in the USA

·
Registered
798 Posts
Me, You may have bought 45-70 brass from starline but have you ever tried to get 444 brass from them? They don't even list it.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Yes, it is well known that any brass for a rifle you really like, will have a high percentage of Gold or Platinum, it just depends on who is trying to wring every penny out of it,ha. Years ago, I had a devil of time finding and buying 9.3x62 and .404 Jeffry ( Jeffery) brass. It was in the Platinum category,ha.
Is it possible for American hunters to "tip" you guys with brass,ammo,etc? I have "heard" of a fellow who did that in South Africa, especially right after they lifted the sanctions, back in '95...when I first when over.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
jgt I didn't realize 444 was hard to get. just expensive in Canada :) I will buy 7 mm Wea. brass at gun shows but with over 100 pc's they will last me a life time. They will be rare :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I like my T-4, but the cost of brass has made me say no more strange calibers for me, just the plain jane stuff. My reloading of .40S&W might stop since I can reuse the brass about 4 times. It's not economical enough for me--rationalization for a new gun in say .45ACP. I am on the 8-9 reload of the my brass for .444 and .45C, & 4-5 reloads for .308 brass. You can blame the Chinese for the price of brass staying high after the initial shortage after '08 election. The Chinese bought up multiple millions of pounds of scrap metal the world would sell in 2008-09 to use for barter if the paper money lost its value. Back to mining ore for most metals so the price will be higher for sometime. The EPA ban on lead wheel weights didn't help any either.

rimrock

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Just like the rest of the economy, jack the price up fast, but if things start to fall, comes down slow if at all. :mad: Grabbing some boxes of bullets or brass bought 4-5 years ago show almost a doubleing of price on some items, same with primers and powder. DP

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
I have noticed powder come down 2-4 dallars since the buying frenzy. Good to see components back in the store :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To those who offered to help out, thanks but no thanks. The border issue is very serious and I would not allow any fine neighbour to be entered on a person of interest list by either government. Its just money and I got good brass anyway.

The issue for many of us foreign to America shooters with odd brass is very real. I recently bought a 32-20 Winoku and often wish it was a 357 Mag or 44 Mag, one stop shopping all over town. For availability the 223, 243, 308, 30-06, 30-30, 7MM Rem Mag, 300 Win Mags are simply unbeatable for availability of economy of supply. I got two rifles that need 314/5 cast drop, what a pain. Hard to believe even the 303 is getting to be a bit uncommon in Canada. Common to find a couple boxes of 303 bullets on the shelf and rows of 30 cal.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Starline doesn't offer or make 444 brass, I've called them before on this subject. I was in Georgia earlier this week and stopped by the Georgia Arms storefront and picked up some 444 and 45/70 brass, also bought a bunch of 45 Colt. If I remember correctly the 444 brass went for $26 / 50 pieces and the 45/70 went for $32 for 50. BTW, the 444 & 45/70 brass were Remington and the 45 Colt were Starline.

Too bad about the pricing you have to pay. I guess you will appreciate each piece of brass even more than I.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts