Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was a successful NSW Lever Action Titles held last weekend just across the border in the ACT.
Blue Clothing Cap Baseball cap Headgear

The Open event on Saturday was 50 rounds at paper animal silhouettes various positions, and the Classic event on Sunday 35 rounds.

I picked up a Open Event (peep sights, any calibre) gold medal in B Grade with my Marlin 39a, and a Silver in the same grade in the. Classic event (open sights only, pre-1938 calibres) with my Marlin 1894 in 218 Bee.
Coin Medal Money Metal Bronze medal

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Shotgun

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Gun accessory

Also had set up a Marlin 1894M in 22Mag used by my cousin and his son, who both got silver medals (C Grade and Juniors)

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Great shootin'!

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Goodonya Scott. Proud of ya Mate.:congrats:

Mark.

P.S. That mount's a wild bit of gear. :hmmmm:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well done Scott. Glad to see the 1894M got a day out too!

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Way ta go!

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well done Scott. Glad to see the 1894M got a day out too!
Yeah glad ya picked up on that Curan, my cousin and his 14yo son are new to the comp, and with low wind I knew the 22 Mag would be competitive, and flat shooting, so very few sight adjustments required. This made it simpler, just point and shoot really.
On one target the lad got 47.1 from a possible 50.5.
There were only two issues in hundreds of rounds, which were FTF's. Will look into that.
Thanks again for the find.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
......... low wind I knew the 22 Mag would be competitive, and flat shooting, so very few sight adjustments required. This made it simpler, just point and shoot really..........
That's why I love mine!

.........On one target the lad got 47.1 from a possible 50.5......
Nothing wrong with that!

Sorry to hear about the FTFs, but I'm sure you'll sort it.

cheers, curan

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Way to go Scott. Shows that firearms of yesteryear are still able to make the grade.

My hat off to ya Sir.

Dave

Reactions: wags2477

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congratulations Scott. Great shooting.
Tells us a bit about the sight on the 1894 with the taped check pad.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congratulations Scott. Great shooting.
Tells us a bit about the sight on the 1894 with the taped check pad.
Hey GP,

The sight is a universal Walther diopter from a vintage Walther LG55 air rifle.

I have it mounted on a Gehmann sight extension which attaches to an 11mm dovetail fitted directly to the receiver. This extension attaches firmly and steps down over the hammer and allows for the peep (an adjustable gehmann aperture) to be over 800mm from the front tunnel sight a very long sight radius.

The diopter has large elevation and windage placement, and then when in place, a full 80 clicks (approx 3-4 clicks per MOA) adjustment to get on target.

The drop of standard velocity 22lr requires about a 20 click elevation adjustment from the 50m sight-in.

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Shotgun

The camo tape is just a temporary fixture to hold on a rubber cheek piece cut from a bodyboarding fin, to get my eye up to the aperture and still maintain a good cheek weld.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great stuff mate. Would of been awesome to be there

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey GP,

The sight is a universal Walther diopter from a vintage Walther LG55 air rifle.
View attachment 99338
View attachment 99339

I have it mounted on a Gehmann sight extension which attaches to an 11mm dovetail fitted directly to the receiver. This extension attaches firmly and steps down over the hammer and allows for the peep (an adjustable gehmann aperture) to be over 800mm from the front tunnel sight a very long sight radius.

The diopter has large elevation and windage placement, and then when in place, a full 80 clicks (approx 3-4 clicks per MOA) adjustment to get on target.

The drop of standard velocity 22lr requires about a 20 click elevation adjustment from the 50m sight-in.

View attachment 99340

The camo tape is just a temporary fixture to hold on a rubber cheek piece cut from a bodyboarding fin, to get my eye up to the aperture and still maintain a good cheek weld.
Thanks Scott

Other than the longer sight radius, is there any advantage in having the eye close to the aperture?

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Scott

Other than the longer sight radius, is there any advantage in having the eye close to the aperture?
Hey GP, No, I don't think so, but it is just a couple of inches closer than most tang sights, I think. I use the smallest rear aperture setting, about 0.5mm, and the proportions of the target, front ring insert, front tunnel and rear aperture seem about right. If anything it needs to move a little further from the eye to make it suitable for the prone position.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Now you have my brain twirling about what might come out of my milling machine next.

I do like that sight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.