Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Friday off and I'm going up to my buddy's cabin for the weekend.

Pulled the scope off the 308MX and slapped it on the 338MX. I "eyeballed" it as far as bore sighting goes and it's not far off.

Now we'll find out if it shoots ;) Hope to have something positive to report when I get back...

-chris

·
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK so I'm not going to win the postal match with this target ::)
I did find out that my 338MX has a straight barrel - no droops, no bends, and no shims ;D

Here's the 1st decent target.

I don't know if I'll get better, but I do really like shooting the 338MX.

-chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
Make sure you have a good scope on that thing. That doesn't look as good as the groups I've heard and seen with my own 338. I was shooting 6"+ groups when I had a Nikon on mine. Got rid of it, put a Leupold on it and grouped under 1.5". Had the same problem with a 30-06 with a Simmons, took it off and put on a Redfield and it it groups about 1.5" also. Take it to a gunsmith. He'll mount the rifle on a fixture, give it a whack and he"ll probably tell you your scope is no good... I'd almost bet on it. Either that, or you're drinkin too much coffee before you go shooting:=))

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine was a piece of junk. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn! Simmons was even worse... no surprise. I'll buy nothing but American made scopes from now on. I used the same Leupold scope mount for the Nikon and the Leupold. Don't mean to tick anyone off... just supporting the folks on our soil.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Sometimes you get a bad one I have seen bad Leopold! I have two Nikon buckmasters one a 3x9 and one a 4.5x14 and they both are dead on! and I'm sure there are a few bad ones out there but like anything {including My 338 MX} there is bound to be a lemon. Nikons are great scopes for the money. Dennis

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't doubt they do make good scopes. Guess my prejudice is showing up here supporting our own. I am pretty POSITIVE Nikon doesn't have the legendary support Leupold does.

·
Registered
12 Posts
;D that's a good enough group for 99% of the critters I have ever shot. Lots of times groups get better after you shoot a rifle a few dozen times. Atleast that's my excuse for burning up more ammo.

·
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The scope is a Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33.
These are rounds 16-20 from a NIB rifle, I know as I finished the 1st box on this target.
I did not bring the cleaning kit, so the barrel was not swabbed between shots or strings. Does this make me a bad person ???
The rounds were loaded 4 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber, my attempt @ real world testing.
The string was shot with about 30 second intervals, except for the 1st/2nd as I had to check through the spotting scope that I was "on paper". And I had problems focusing the spotting scope :-[

I suppose that I could have laid a ruler over the top 2 holes and let everyone marvel at my shooting prowess ::) But that's not how I roll :p

-chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
Didn't say if you where using a steady rest?? If not, that is pretty good shooting, coffee or not:=)). It'll probably tighten up as you shoot more rounds through it anyway.

·
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I used 3 or 4 blocks of wood and a towel on a shooting table.
At least 2 (maybe 3) cups of coffee.
I may need to do some more work on the trigger, it's still rather stiff, ~ 8lbs?
I do hope it gets better and maybe I will too ;)
Until then there's this:

·
Registered
845 Posts
8 lbs is pretty stiff! you would really have to concentrate on trigger pull, My 308 MX is about 5 lbs and I plan to shave 2 lbs off that to try and tighten up my groups. But that is still plenty good enough group for hunting. Dennis

·
Registered
145 Posts
That looks pretty good! Only way I could get a group that good is with a hole punch sitting on the sofa! Best I've done is about 1.25" and worst was 1.5 at 100 yrds. I've only shot 4 groups, the rest has been plinking... shooting 2 liter water bottles at 300 yards. Fun times with the wife and kids! Time to get off my butt and do some reloading, see if I can get the groups some of the others here have done with AA2520... sounds like it's the poop.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Aside from needing to tweak your group over into center bull ..your group is realistically not that awful..by the scale of your target the farthest apart holes are still about 1.5" center to center which I'm sure barring other things affecting it is still minute of elk...shoot it more and break it in...maybe even make up some lapping bullets....don't fret..you'll get there...and you got all of us for support ...no worries mate!!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Looks like 5/8 to me, good shooting.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did not bring the cleaning kit, so the barrel was not swabbed between shots or strings. Does this make me a bad person

everybody does things a little different.all i did was bring a bore snake along and only used it after i was done shooting,nut it got a good swabbing of shooters choice when i got home . i like to swab the barell and leave it set for about twent minutes thenrun one more wet swab followed by dry,then oiled .this process usualle uses about five patches

·
Registered
153 Posts
I went out to the range a week ago today with my 338 MX and got the four shot group at 100 yards. I have a Leupold 3X9 on my 338 MX and 308 MXLR. Love how the 338 shoots. It will be going antelope hunting this September in WY. Enjoy your 338.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.