Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A former friend found this gun on the floor of a barn where it had obviously been lost. The stock was broken and we assume it had been run over by a tractor or something, my buddy removed what was left of the stock and sold it to me as is. I know no more about it other than what I've found searching this forum for the last few hours.

Its a 336 SC in 35 Remington and the serial number is 30714. Aesthetically it's pretty bad but I think it will get the job done on Bambi's last day. The action cycles fine and the trigger breaks crisp and clean around 4 or 5 pounds. When I first got this thing I didn't think anything of it but now I'm realizing it might be older than my father, I'm asking for info and any tips to the restoration.

from the front of the receiver to the muzzle is a little over 19 inches so im going to assume its an 18 inch pipe and the mag tube is 3/4 length. looking at the muzzle its pretty obvious its factory length and has not been cut down.

at first I was thinking the date stamp was a J but based on experience (im a welder) i think those stamps were done by hand and the date stamp is a G. when the stamper hit the stamp it was leaned toward him slightly and the top of the character didnt imprint. I could be wrong though

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Former friend? There must be a story there. It sound s like a nice project. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is but its a long one lol. Ive been soaking the bore in solvents and brushing it along with patches on a jag and its actually coming out very clean. Any tips on where to find a cheap stock for it? Midways got a nice wood one for 130 bucks but at the moment that would be like putting 10k wheels on a 500 dollar beater, where to find some ammo would be helpful too. Gonna try my local dealer tomorrow to see if they can order me some Hornady LeveRevolution but i barely pay those prices for 300 RUM ammo. some simple cor-lokt is more what id like

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Looks like a great project gun! If you could still get your hands on the broken stock you would be surprised how well they can be repaired with glue pins and epoxy. I would love to have that 35 for a restoration. It should clean up pretty well and I would bet it will shoot fine. I did one that was in way worse shape IMHO (http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/105759-1894-basket-case.html). Keep looking on this site for a buttstock as there are often folks selling and swapping for them. Check ebay as well as you can find used ones in various conditions there too.

As for finding 35 Rem ammo, good luck with that! 1st box I've seen in two years was at the Myrtle Beach, SC Bass Pro Shop and they wanted $30 for the plain Remington Corelock 200 grain loads. 35 is a great caliber and until the recent ammo shortage of the last few years, it was fairly easy to find.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Your rifle was made in 1950, I can tell from the "G" in the pic. It's a sporting carbine with a 20" barrel. The true barrel measurement is from the muzzle to the face of the chamber. It looks like a fun project to me! Ebay will be your best bet for finding a stock, but get ready for sticker shock. Also, prepare yourself to buy more Marlins in the future. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SC Reb seeing yours made me feel waaaayyyyyy better LOL. I commend you for even trying on that one. I may just buy brass and load my own, but seeing as how i stumbled into this one cheap just the dies would cost more than ive paid for it.

bassetman, thanks for that explanation and this is the second marlin. the other is a bolt action 17 hmr that is permanently stuck in beast mode, every single person thats shot it so far has asked if id sell it. whacked 6 squirrels in about 90 minutes last weekend with it and ill be adding a suppressor once the ATF finishes playing with themselves.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
SC Reb seeing yours made me feel waaaayyyyyy better LOL. I commend you for even trying on that one. I may just buy brass and load my own, but seeing as how i stumbled into this one cheap just the dies would cost more than ive paid for it.
Glad I could cheer you up! I felt the same way about spending money on mine. Couldn't see putting much more in to it than the $8.33 I paid for it. But I killed my biggest buck ever with the darn thing and then my daughter took her first deer ever with the same Basket Case! Guess I'm stuck with it now.

As far as ammo, keep your eyes open and you might can find some factory loads at gun shows or small local shops. Before the great ammo shortage it used to be priced just a buck or two more than 30/30 and just about as available. Talked to my local WallyWorld clerk the other day and he said they hadn't had any 35 Remington on the shelf in three years! I used to shoot factory exclusively in my 35 Remington but it, like most 35 caliber rifle rounds, is pretty versatile when handloading. You can use most 38/357 projectiles in a pinch and it can be a great cast bullet round too once you get a load worked up that shoots well in your gun. I'm planning to work up a couple of loads for mine in the next week or two and start testing before hunting season. Deer season here starts August 15th so times-a-wasting!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Other than a 45 70 gov that my grandfather owns this will be my big bore gun, I'm kind of excited about now because Grandpa has a 336 in 30-30 that he's had for at least 30 years. I'm the only family member that's interested in his rifles so I'd be tickled pink to have them side by side in the safe someday.

SC Reb, I really would prefer to buy loaded ammo for the single reason that 100 pieces of new brass is 40 bucks on midway and that's fkn ridiculous. But the dies and holder are cheap so we'll see what happens...... I run sierra bullets in my AR and 22-250, Barnes in everything else so I imagine I'll go with the sierra #2800.

One thing I will say is I'm thinking to run the Nikon rifle scope that's designed for the ar15 platform; it's lightweight, compact and fixed at 3x magnification. Also tough and inexpensive.

It will be fun to mount the EOTech 552 with a suppressor and helmet mounted pvs14 to bag the bacon :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Good luck with the project and keep us posted with pics along the way.

I love my 35's, they are thumpers.

Regards,

B

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mike!

Any pointers on how to scrub off the rust without further damaging the finish?

In reading about the gun, it was stated that early models had no sort of safety mechanism for keeping a round in the chamber and later models did but it did not define early and later models. This is a 1950 and if I cock the hammer about halfway back it locks in place and will not move other than cocking it all the way back. Is this the safe way to carry the rifle with a live round in the chamber?

Also, in studying the fit and function I noticed the firing pin at the very back of the bolt (where the hammer hits) is lose and always shifts till it points down maybe 15 degrees. I've tried to see if this will keep the weapon from firing but can't get a difinitive answer. I can't even tell if it's supposed to be that way or not. See the pic, it's tough to describe.
image.jpg

And I'd like to thank you guys for answering all my newbie questions, the help is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is something very rewarding about breathing life back into an ole forgotten girl. Will be one will not forget and get a lot of enjoyment out of. As to the finish, might be better to go something like a cerakote type of finish. Much easier to smooth out imperfections, unless want to stay with the original look. Might want to consider looking for an ole “wack a mole” Lee reloader die set, can find them at flea markets and such for as little a 5 bucks. Can’t get into reloading any cheaper than that!!!!

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Very good that you adopted that rescue gun. It deserves some TLC after all the years of neglect. Can't wait to see the progress in pictures.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
What you are describing there is a function of the two piece firing pin. Perfectly normal operation.

-Bob George

·
Premium Member
12,154 Posts
The half cock is the only saftey that you have on the rifle. So yes if you have a bullet in the chamber and are walking around in the woods the half cock would keep a branch from springing the hammer and setting off a round or hitting the trigger and setting off a round.. If you are not in the woods hunting I would not chamber a bullet until I was ready to shoot at say a target. Thats just me other may have a different way of doing things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bob when I manually shove the firing pin forward, nothing protrudes out where the primer would be. I can see the firing pin is intact through the slot where the lever goes in but can get nothing that will actually fire a round.

Golphin I agree, I'm just trying to make sure it is what I think it is. Its more dangerous to not know these details IMO

·
Registered
969 Posts
Any pointers on how to scrub off the rust without further damaging the finish?

View attachment 106391

And I'd like to thank you guys for answering all my newbie questions, the help is very much appreciated!
Try removing the rust with 0000-steel wool + Kroil or WD-40. Actually, any light oil will do to suspend the rust particles. A copper scrub pad will also do nicely. But in my opinion, this project needs a total strip of the bluing and a re-do, either by you or send it out for a hot blue. To keep costs down, I'd do a blue job with Art's Belgian Blue from Midway (they have a YouTube video on it). Comes out fantastic if you follow the directions and don't give into dismay since the process takes 6-8 applications.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im really not sure why ive had this feeling but i would kind of like to keep the rifle as is and just prevent it from rusting further. All my other guns are really nice and well kept, the rifles i hunt with often have wear and tear but it doesnt show. I guess you could say id like to keep the character this rifle has acquired over its 64 years and while I know it could really come out looking great if i re-blued it, the thought has a negative undertone when I think of it. Im at somewhat of a loss to explain it and ive never had felt this way about a rifle before, I could almost say i dont wanna re-blue out of respect for the gun

1 - 20 of 29 Posts