Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this Saturday the 26th a friend of mine is picking me up at 7am Texas time and heading up to about 40 acres he has in red river county to do a little hog hunting. He has a cabin more or less with electricity only but has ac unit and a fireplace plus several bunk beds and a frig. I been there before but hunting was a bust since a storm rip thru there at the time and temps drop to about in the low 30s.

This time the weather suppose to be good and he has a feeder he been putting corn in and from the game camera he has set up near it a couple of sows and a boar plus a few little ones been hitting the feeder around midnight. Plus there been a lot of squirrels hitting it but it will be between seasons in red river county so no squirrel this time.

He has a couple of stands but since I am still recovering from a stroke and still a little unsteady I am buying a ground blind to keep my but on the ground:biggrin:. I zero in my 45-70 and 30-30 at about 50 yds but my longest shot will be between 30-25yards max.

I am taking both the 45-70 and the 30-30 but my 30-30 is the only one with a sling and where I be sitting up the ground blind is about 3 acres away from the cabin so I am going to see which one I am going to use because of the walk.

So hopefully I will literally bring home the bacon Sunday but if not I will still enjoying a time out in the country and doing what I love:biggrin:.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Good luck with the hunt, umm, you know slings are transferable right?? :biggrin: Whichever rifle you choose will certainly do the job on the hogs, so bring home the bacon! Oh, what kind of illumination are you bringing? Just curious, because I just picked up a green laser light for night hunting. Hogs aren't supposed to see that too well.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Either one will do the job. The 45-70 will be a bit more decisive ... lol
Good luck. Just curious which bullets you intend to use.
Well the 45-70 325gr. leverevolution or Federal 150gr powershok in 30-30, I figure they will do. I know for a fact both rounds will bring down hogs bigger than what I be hunting.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good luck with the hunt, umm, you know slings are transferable right?? :biggrin: Whichever rifle you choose will certainly do the job on the hogs, so bring home the bacon! Oh, what kind of illumination are you bringing? Just curious, because I just picked up a green laser light for night hunting. Hogs aren't supposed to see that too well.
Lol the 45-70 aint got no swivels for a sling and I am planning on getting a stock and forearm from boyds since I do not want to damage the original wood that on there. And I got a elusive wildlife XLR 250 greenlight for night hunting hogs.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
good luck on the hunt and hoping for good weather. I am sure either boom stick will work, but with a big boar on the ground and you in a ground blind, I would want the 45-70 to make the kill definitive. beleive me I love my 30-30 but would want the hammer of thor if i was on the ground. takes some pics of the hunt I would love to see them. it has been many moons since i was in Texas and almost forgot what the brush country looked like.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Good luck my friend hopefully you will fill the freezer!!!!

Reactions: mjadams61

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I got a cross bolt safety delete with a saddle ring and use my single point sling. I love the set-up and the single point is really easy to carry and get on target quickly. when on stand I just disconnect the sling and makes the best of both worlds.

Lol the 45-70 aint got no swivels for a sling and I am planning on getting a stock and forearm from boyds since I do not want to damage the original wood that on there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I used to do a lot of feral hog hunting in the rice marshes of coastal Georgia. Old JT my hunting mentor always said "bring the biggest bang you can get your hands on, if you make a mistake here, they will eat you alive". If I am on the ground, I still want the biggest thing I can get. Go for the 45/70

Reactions: mjadams61

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just grab one of these bayou slings if your rifle doesn't have any sling studs!
Hey Mazer, is there anyway you can post a picture with you having the rifle sling on your shoulder. Just curious if you don't mind.

·
Registered
20,530 Posts
Good luck and don't forget the camera!

·
Banned
651 Posts
Good luck!!! I'm heading to Texas sometime in July to do the same. I will use my 45-70 and the Leverevolution as well. I might take some of my loads as well 405 grain bullet pushed by 48 grains of IMR 8208 xbr. What ever you use that shoulder cannon will roll them!! Post pics as we will all be excited to see your trip. BTW make sure you have snake boots in Texas.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I herd on Fox news today that the BLM is trying to claim 90,000 acres on both sides of the Red River!! Better take both rifles.:ahhhhh:

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Pictures

Well the hunt was a bust:(. Seems like ***** got and damaged the feeder and the feeder has not been throwing corn for about a week before we got there. He has a game camera set up pointing at the feeder and man the turkey and deer's plus some pigs been showing up until you see the raccoon up at the feeder where they chewed up the downspout. But I still had a good time though being out in the middle of nowhere:biggrin:. Oh it is so remote only get 3 tv channels and no cellphone:biggrin:.

First pic looking out the door of the cabin

hunt 005.jpg

2nd doorway of cabin

hunt 006.jpg

3rd you can see where the raccoon push down the chicken wire to keep the squirrels out and chew up the downspouts on the feeder.

hunt 007.jpg

4th Part of the trail heading to the feeder.

hunt 009.jpg

5th the cabin and we only have electric so we had frig, a/c, tv and cheap computer to check the sd card from the three game cameras scatter through out the 40 acres plus a tv with a dvd player :biggrin:. And lights. Didn't take a pic of the inside but has a couple of couchs and chairs and a small table with chairs for eating plus a small stove that is setup with a propane bottle to cook. Everything you need except running water had to bring that. Oh and 3 sets of bunk beds.

hunt 010.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
more pictures

6th tail going to feeder

hunt 011.jpg

7th the ground blind I got and I got it set up after we got there about 9am sat morn so that way everything out there will get use to it and I didn't take a picture of the chair but it was very comfortable sitting in for about 6 hours during the night. I have to take it back because one of the carbon rods for it broke when I was taking it down this morn. I did stay out ther up to 3am to see if any hogs showed or the dang raccoons so I could take a few of them out but nothing showed since it didn't through corn for about a week.

hunt 012.jpg

Yea the hogs been showing up between midnight and 3am and I got out there about 7pm and park my but in the blind and waited but nothing showed up. But I did enjoy being out there. I did give my friend some ideals on how to keep the critters off the feeder and it still throws corn after he gets it fix. So maybe this coming deer season later this year I will be out there and hopefully get one of the deer that been hitting the feeder:biggrin:.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
No bacon, Thats ok. Some of my best hunts were when I didnt harvest anything. Just being out in nature is wonderful. Good luck on your next hunt. I to love to chase those hogs, Maybe my favorite of all.

·
Registered
279 Posts
mja: I share your pain. I've been out 5 times and the only hog I saw was the one that bolted across the two track as we were heading to our blinds LOL. But linebaugh is spot on about just being out in the woods. For me the 6th time is going to be the charm ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts