Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas,
Its been a good while since I have posted anything as I am real busy working at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage :D ,and trying to juggle other things too.
Okay,time to go Halibut fishing on 05-29-04 out of Homer Alaska near the Cook Inlet. 8)
My wife and I both are real excited about the trip and the chance to fill the freezer with some tasty Halibut.
I also have a Black Bear tag I am going to try and fill, some time between now and the first week of June.
I have never been Halibut fishing,nor have I ever taken a Black bear,so hopefully I'll get the chance for both. :shock:
I just finished installing a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 on my new Ruger KM77 MKII Stainless Sporter in .338 Winchester Magnum and got my reloading stuff all set-up to load some Speer 250 Grain Grand Slams. :)

Soon the big King Salmon will be running up the rivers in South Central Alaska and My wife and I both can hardly wait to reel in our first big fish.
Some Kings get real big as in 50-90 pounds :shock: ,but more like 30-40 on average from what I have seen posted around here.

Later we will be going after Silver Salmon,and Sockeye Salmon or Reds as they are sometimes called.
Lots of other fish to target too,like Arctic Grayling,Dolly Varden,Char,Lake Trout and Northern Pike.

We are still trying to get used to the idea that we are now living in Alaska and taking it all in,but so far we love it here. :D

Well,if we do catch some nice fish,I'll post a report and hopefully some pictures will follow.

Oh,and did I mention I also bought a Ruger MKII Magnum in .416 Rigby :p , Ruger No.1 in 45-70, Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger,Remington M700 Mountain rifle in .280 Remington (for the wife) ,Remington 870 Express Combo 12 Gauge ( Slug and field bbls) ,Ruger SP101 3 inch bbl. in .357 Mag and a Smith & Wesson Lady Smith in .357 Mag.for my wife! :lol: :shock:
Take care,Mman.......

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mman,seems things are going well for you.Glad to hear it.Wonder if them Halibut pull as hard as them cats in the Santee-Cooper.Keep us posted,Tarheel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tarheel said:
Mman,seems things are going well for you.Glad to hear it.Wonder if them Halibut pull as hard as them cats in the Santee-Cooper.Keep us posted,Tarheel

Hey tarheel,
Thanks for the reply and as far as the halibut pulling as hard as the bluecats,I kinda doubt it ,but they are great eating and get as big as barn doors :shock: .....
Hopefully we'll catch some close to a hundred pounds or at least 30-50 ponds anyway.The record halibut up here is well over 400 pounds :shock:

I'll keep ya posted and hopefully we'll have some pictures to post later.

Take care,Mman..............

·
Registered
40 Posts
MOUNTIANMAN wish you luck. Beautiful state at least in summer. I'll never forget my trip. Went fishing for King out of Sitka about 5-miles out trolling with my brother-in-law and a nother couple. We went out past all the islands where our guide said the fish were bigger and dummer. Brother-in law caught a 22lb king and a 10lb rock bass, I caught a 17lb king and a 37lb king which I was only aloud one. Gave the 17lb to the other couple they had caught 3- 10lb chum salmon and one about 8lb king which the king had to be returned was just a little to small. Atleast for me it was one of my dreams for my life time. So many things that I had seen and did and so many more to do and see in that great state that I shall return. This was in 2001 and plans are made for somewhere there in 2005. Hope you catch one or more of those bigo barn doors and get you a nice bear rug . :D :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TeePee said:
MOUNTIANMAN wish you luck

Hope you catch one or more of those bigo barn doors and get you a nice bear rug . :D :wink:

Thanks TeePee and I hope you get to come back to do some fishing or hunting sometime.

Take care,Mman..........

·
Registered
13 Posts
You hook a big halibut you'll never forget it. If it is a guided trip or charter they will know how to handle them. The biggest one I ever pulled over the side was 260 lbs. and it took three of us to do it. I shot it three times in the head with a .22 and still had to use a club to dispatch it totally. When I cleaned it I found two whole rockfish in his gut. I put my arm under his gill plates to get the guts out and couldn't reach the the end of the cavity. Could open the jaws and stick my whole head in its mouth. The scary part was, they get even bigger than the one I got... :shock: I prefer eating the smaller ones now. Leave the big ones to breed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You hook a big halibut you'll never forget it. If it is a guided trip or charter they will know how to handle them. The biggest one I ever pulled over the side was 260 lbs. and it took three of us to do it. I shot it three times in the head with a .22 and still had to use a club to dispatch it totally. When I cleaned it I found two whole rockfish in his gut. I put my arm under his gill plates to get the guts out and couldn't reach the the end of the cavity. Could open the jaws and stick my whole head in its mouth. The scary part was, they get even bigger than the one I got... :shock: I prefer eating the smaller ones now. Leave the big ones to breed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts