Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure how many folks have tried goetta, based on not seeing it very far outside of Cincinnati, Ohio. I believe it to be sorta German in origin. My family has made it for years. Perhaps scrapple is somewhat similar. There is a Goetta Festival every year in Cincinnati. Of course it gets mixed into everything imaginable (even fudge), I like it just by itself. Glier's is the typical brand found here in the super market.
Anyway, it is best eaten at breakfast beside fried or scrambled eggs. What I have described below is made using a slowcooker/crockpot. Here goes:

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups Pinhead oat meal (I can usually find Dorsel's, but can be seasonal-available in fall through spring). DO NOT USE ROLLED OATS
1 lb ground beef or venison
1 lb ground pork or pork sausage (avoid Sage flavored! I prefer Jimmie Deans Hot)
6 cups of water (for firmer goetta use 5 instead)
1 large yellow or white onion-grated on a box grater, or a food processor with blade and mince well)
1-4 bay leaves-I typically use two. Amount is optional for how much you like this spice.
3 tsp salt
Couple shakes of white or black pepper

Put water, salt and pepper into crockpot, cover and heat on high for 20 minutes.
Stir in oatmeal, cover and cook on high for 1.5 hours.
Add meat and onion, stir well. Stick bay leaves into mix but put them where you can find them. Cover again and cook on LOW for three hours..
Uncover, remove bay leaves, stir-you can spoon fat off at this point. It should be pretty thick, you can leave the heat on uncovered to remove more water, this will firm it up pretty well. To really mix it well I have used a electric cake beater.
A 13 by 9 inch baking dish works well for cooling in the refridgerator. When cool can cut into sizes for individual meals and wrap in plastic wraps tightly. Freezes well. Cut slices about 3/8" thick for cooking and eating. I figure on two or three pieces per person per meal.
this is best fried over medium heat, I like frying up some bacon first, then use that fat for frying goetta. You should have a browned crust on each side, ready to eat!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Whats it look like in a fry pan, could you post a pic?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gonzo, I have some in the freezer, if I end up cooking it tomorrow will take a pic.

Here is a link to Glier's, which does have some pics on their website:

www.goetta.com

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Oh yes I knows what goetta is :p My mama used to make it all the time when I was kid... dang, it's been a long time since I've had it though. I kinda make it a point to avoid eating pork these days...

I live in Atlanta now a days, but luckily I've got a restataunt close to the house that makes Cincy chili :p

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LT, you pointed out another great food of Cincinnati. I had a jumbo 5-way at Skyline for lunch yesterday :).
I'd buy the spice mix at the grocery store and use ground deer meat, that's how I was able to get my kids to eat any venison when they were little.
I'd be happy to send you a couple chili spice packs if you're interested. Let me know.

·
Registered
578 Posts
LT said:
I kinda make it a point to avoid eating pork these days...
Sooo, what are you, a Muslim?
Sorry LT. That just sounded funny, and I couldn't help myself. ;D ;D

I'm with ya to an extent though, as I try to avoid eating commercially raised and processed meat of any kind these days. (Tastes likie poo too. :p)
I'm pretty well convinced that the hormones and other crap in commercial meat is directly related to the high cancer rate in this country, but that's just me.

Allah be with you. ;D
Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
MyDogsHunt said:

I'm with ya to an extent though, as I try to avoid eating commercially raised and processed meat of any kind these days. (Tastes likie poo too. :p)
I'm pretty well convinced that the hormones and other crap in commercial meat is directly related to the high cancer rate in this country, but that's just me.

Allah be with you. ;D
Charlie

MDH, Livestock raised with assistance of implants don't test any different on the dinner plate, than "organic" "freerange" or other mamby pamby label of the latest marketing scam to get folks to pay more than necessary for their groceries.

Same for milk from dairies that use the BST, meat is still meat, and milk is still milk. The folks that have scared you away from modern technology, just use these as the panic button, but still won't be happy till every cow, chicken, goat, hog is set free...These enhancements only produce more of the same product, but we all must make our choices of what we ingest.

I've not seen any studies that show any increase in risk from using the enhancement of steroids, or hormones in commercial production of food. Well, some junk science articles, but they would be on the same lines as "man made man-made global warming climate change.

Regards, Roan,

(who knows the value of Ralgro, Bovine somatotropin, Bovatech, Rumensin, and many of the unduly targeted tools that help feed the world at a reasonable price...) and don't get me started on Genetically modified crops...

Sorry for the thread drift...

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
MyDogsHunt said:

Allah be with you. ;D
Charlie
;D ;D ;D

I avoid pork because I'd rather my arteries stay clear and any pork whether farm raised or wild is loaded with parasites :eek: Besides, I've gotten so used to eating venison and fish that beef and especially pork tastes greasy to me.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Roan444 said:
MDH, Livestock raised with assistance of implants don't test any different on the dinner plate, than "organic" "freerange" or other mamby pamby label of the latest marketing scam to get folks to pay more than necessary for their groceries.

Same for milk from dairies that use the BST, meat is still meat, and milk is still milk. The folks that have scared you away from modern technology, just use these as the panic button, but still won't be happy till every cow, chicken, goat, hog is set free...These enhancements only produce more of the same product, but we all must make our choices of what we ingest.

I've not seen any studies that show any increase in risk from using the enhancement of steroids, or hormones in commercial production of food. Well, some junk science articles, but they would be on the same lines as "man made man-made global warming climate change.

Regards, Roan,

(who knows the value of Ralgro, Bovine somatotropin, Bovatech, Rumensin, and many of the unduly targeted tools that help feed the world at a reasonable price...) and don't get me started on Genetically modified crops...

I beg to differ with you here... there's a big taste difference in free range grass fed beef comapred to the standard issue grain fed crap! It's also leaner... a cow's digestive system is not really made for grains, but grasses and other green "stuff" are. It makes a hude difference in the meat that you get. Of course I haven't bought any red meat in over two years because of the venison in the feezer :p ;D

·
Registered
578 Posts
Roan444 said:

Regards, Roan,

Well,,, I'm certainly not an expert, but you obviously are.
Thanks for the lecture, and enjoy your processed Beef.
I'll continue to eat critters that are either wild, or fed out by someone I know that doesn't feed crap.
Charlie

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This reminds me of the older crowd family squabbles I get to listen to when I visit my Mom on the weekends ::)

Make it how you like it, or don't make it if not appealing to you.

Thought there might be some interest in this. My grandma met my grandpa (who came here to northern Kentucky after serving in the German Army in WW1 (he took care of cavalry horses)) when he started his trade as a shoe cobbler. She made some traditional German cuisine at his request, though not always for big family dinners. She was wonderful with her cooking. I still remember her white gravy with mashed potatoes and fried chicken on Sundays.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
You would have to mention fried chicken.... I gots a weakness for that artery clogging goodness :p Yet I manage to stay away from it as much as possible. However I will indulge with Moonpies :p ;D

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LT, I can't resist good fried chicken. Problem is finding it!

Church festivals are starting up, though you seem to have to go mostly to southern Indiana to get your fix. All of the Cincinnati Festivals have brats and metts with sauerkraut (not a bad thing, but you can only eat so much of that stuff. Something else German, that idiots put in otherwise good chocolate fudge).

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
MyDogsHunt said:
Well,,, I'm certainly not an expert, but you obviously are.
Thanks for the lecture, and enjoy your processed Beef.
I'll continue to eat critters that are either wild, or fed out by someone I know that doesn't feed crap.
Charlie
Processed?? Ah, nevermind...

Edit, to thank stonecoldy for the recipe!

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
MyDogsHunt said:
i think you're right, but for a different reason.. the omega-6 fatty acid to omega-3 fatty acid in wild game is comparable to that of ocean caught wild fish (high in omega-3, low in omega-6)

farmed cattle/pork/chicken eats a lot of grain instead of bugs & grass, so they end up high in omega-6 and low in omega-3. this has all sorts of bad effect on your body, including inflammation, arthritis, etc.. buy/kill & eat grass-fed or wild game whenever possible, or supplement your diet with omega-3 fish oil pills and such.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts