Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking an online gunsmith course and am stuck on one of the questions. Can anyone help me ?
(I know it's impossible to learn everything I need to know with an online school but it's a start) ::)

so here is the question:

Feel free to look up the answers online or in your library or even calling friends. The point of advanced gunsmithing is not knowing everything, it’s the ability to find the answers as you go along, because many problems have unique solutions or underlying causes and most have many correct fixes.

11. A nervous customer brings in a Glock 24 and says he’s worried about a possible catastrophic explosion, which he’s heard happens with Glocks sometimes. What would you want to inspect, and what would you be looking for? Is there anything you can do to lessen the chances of problems if he insists on you doing something, even if you find nothing wrong? What advice can you give him? What might have caused his concern in the design trade offs of the Glock? What are the casing bulge tolerances of .40 in general after firing any pistol?

....... most questions I could answer myself but with this one I have no clue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
186 Tmanbuckhunter said:
All glops do, as well as 1911's if I'm not mistaken.
I remember PJ saying that his norinco 1911 did this and blew the mag out of the gun.
If this is the same concept then it doesn't seem like anything can be done or there is anything to look for...

The question asks about .40 but could happen with any cal.

I would not know what to tell the man :-\

found this: http://www.wtov9.com/news/21866969/detail.html
http://www.wtov9.com/news/21907727/detail.html

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
336-4-LIFE said:
The question asks about .40 but could happen with any cal.
The .40 maxes out at 35000 PSI, the .45ACP at 21000 PSI... a bit of a difference in an unsupported chamber. I think the .38 Super has the same problem.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
FUN FUN FUN
Some of the best advice I ever got for dealing with drunks , paranoia and dare I say emotional gal's.

Ask a person how they know... if you get a answer ask why or how do you know. If you can stay calm and put it back in there court they will resolve there issue or you will get to the core of there issue. You can't be drawn into there emotion and don't be quick to put the answer out they will get neutral and open to imput :) I know because I have used it many times.

There is a reason he believes this. It mabe he was told that plastic gun will blow up.
Glock makes a time proven gun. I have seen blown up guns it is a reality but if he can't realize a ruger could blow up to he needs to buy a gun he has confidence in. If he finds one don't ask him why or how does he know ;D

·
Super Moderator
13,327 Posts
me said:
FUN FUN FUN
Some of the best advice I ever got for dealing with drunks , paranoia and dare I say emotional gal's.

Ask a person how they know... if you get a answer ask why or how do you know. If you can stay calm and put it back in there court they will resolve there issue or you will get to the core of there issue. You can't be drawn into there emotion and don't be quick to put the answer out they will get neutral and open to imput :) I know because I have used it many times.

There is a reason he believes this. It mabe he was told that plastic gun will blow up.
Glock makes a time proven gun. I have seen blown up guns it is a reality but if he can't realize a ruger could blow up to he needs to buy a gun he has confidence in. If he finds one don't ask him why or how does he know ;D
Famous last words; Hey guys watch this! No really, it's ok, it can handle it; its a ruger!!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
IMO...there's not much a gunsmith can do with that except inspect the gun for proper function.

Most Glock explosions are due to ammo...reloads to be exact...whether its loaded too hot or the brass loaded too many times or just a weak peice of brass.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
336-4-LIFE said:
thanks guys, there's a lot of good info here :)
I think the root answer to the question is the unsupported chamber in .40S&W... but I'm not a Glop expert (although, the only Glop I ever fired was in .40... )

I was looking at that TGZ page and, if I'm reading it correctly, the Glop isn't Perfection.... ;)

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Barenjager said:
When you have a kaboom with combat tupperware is it called a "burp"? ::)

Roe
Arn't ya s'posed ta' burp tupperware??....................O'boy.........Now I'm gonna' have nightmares about being chased by a bunch of Mad Glock owners!........... :eek: :eek:

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts