Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this Glenfield 75 in excellent condition today. Serial number puts it manufactured in 1974, and it still has the original Glenfield scope. Scope is cloudy, and I don’t know if anything can be done about it. Blueing is in great shape, and wood is good with a few minor dings.

It appears to be the same as the model 60 with the exception of the shorter barrel and magazine tube. Any info on the model 75 would be greatly appreciated.
Musical instrument accessory Sleeve Wood Knife Sunglasses
Musical instrument accessory Sleeve Wood Knife Sunglasses

·
Registered
262 Posts
So basically a “carbine” version of the model 60. Very similar to the model 99M1 (which has furniture and a rear sight to more closely resemble an M1 carbine). The rifle you have purchased came in two configurations; longer tube and shorter tube. Yours appears to be the shorter tube (likely 9-10 round capacity), longer tube variety extended to the end of the barrel and held like 15 rounds. Great rifles with a shorter barrel. I believe the Marlin branded variant is less common than the Glenfields, I swear I read that. I had a Marlin long tube version, it was great but in the end didn’t offer enough for me to keep it in comparison to my other Marlin rifles. Otherwise it was a solid .22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So basically a “carbine” version of the model 60. Very similar to the model 99M1 (which has furniture and a rear sight to more closely resemble an M1 carbine). The rifle you have purchased came in two configurations; longer tube and shorter tube. Yours appears to be the shorter tube (likely 9-10 round capacity), longer tube variety extended to the end of the barrel and held like 15 rounds. Great rifles with a shorter barrel. I believe the Marlin branded variant is less common than the Glenfields, I swear I read that. I had a Marlin long tube version, it was great but in the end didn’t offer enough for me to keep it in comparison to my other Marlin rifles. Otherwise it was a solid .22.

I’ve attended many gun shows, and have never seen this model. Found it on a local forum for $175, and couldn’t resist. It’s missing the rear sight riser, but I have an extra.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’ve attended many gun shows, and have never seen this model. Found it on a local forum for $175, and couldn’t resist. It’s missing the rear sight riser, but I have an extra.
To me they are a very handy version of the model 60, a better option for kids as well due to lighter weight and better center of balance. I already had a 99M1, which I like the aesthetics of better but the 75 is a cool rifle that doesn’t get the love it deserves.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Model 75 was introduced in 1968, with the 9 round tube magazine, in '74 the tube was extended to the 15 round, not sure if you got an early '74 or parts have been swapped. Had one years ago, that was stolen out of my pickup, recently picked up another for about what you paid. Sweet guns, and they are tack drivers!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Model 75 was introduced in 1968, with the 9 round tube magazine, in '74 the tube was extended to the 15 round, not sure if you got an early '74 or parts have been swapped. Had one years ago, that was stolen out of my pickup, recently picked up another for about what you paid. Sweet guns, and they are tack drivers!!
The fellow I bought it from told me it was 1974 vintage. I’ll check the serial number myself when I get home. It’s definitely nine shot.

·
Registered
801 Posts

That's interesting... Theoretically there should be more Marlin 75Cs than Glenfields honestly. I believe it was 1982 they rebranded them all Marlins, and the 75C was available up until '98 when the carbine version of the model 60 became the model 795 if my memory serves me correctly. But, the Glenfields were big sellers in the 70s so it is entirely possible.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's interesting... Theoretically there should be more Marlin 75Cs than Glenfields honestly. I believe it was 1982 they rebranded them all Marlins, and the 75C was available up until '98 when the carbine version of the model 60 became the model 795 if my memory serves me correctly. But, the Glenfields were big sellers in the 70s so it is entirely possible.
Yeah by all means that is completely anecdotal. I swear that’s what someone told me when I bought mine and posted about it on the Marlin Owners or Rimfire forums. I could be completely wrong!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have the 75C that I picked up in a pawn shop about 5 years ago (maybe longer) for $100 OTD. It is in excellent condition. I traded away a Marlin model 60 that was mint and regretted it right away. This 75C went home with me as kind of a replacement for the Model 60. Found a Glenfield scope for $10. at a gun show. Optics still pretty clear.
Air gun Wood Trigger Machine gun Shotgun

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Got mine off of GB not too long ago.
The stock needed reworking but the little devil shoots like a laser!
I think everyone needs a model 60 variant in their safe!
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun accessory Wood stain
Dog Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got it to the range, and couldn’t see good enough through the scope to hit anything. Installed a BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 that I already had, and was very pleased with the rifles accuracy. Don’t know if anything can be done with the cloudy original scope, but I put it in the safe just in case.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Finally got it to the range, and couldn’t see good enough through the scope to hit anything. Installed a BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 that I already had, and was very pleased with the rifles accuracy. Don’t know if anything can be done with the cloudy original scope, but I put it in the safe just in case.
I’ve seen a lot more fog in those scopes than I’ve seen clear image of my target. Stick with the BSA, you aren’t missing anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts