1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to this forum.
RE: Glenfield Mod 75 (8 shot tube feed) SN#702xxxxx
Purchased new in mid to late 1960's

Trying to prepare the oldest 22LR in my possession for passing on to my grandson...but I am having significant Failure To Fire (FTF) issues in 3 to 5 rounds (out of tube of 8) of good quality CCI mini mags and other high quality/velocity grade 22LR ammo. I desire to get the Mod 75 in reasonably good working order prior to gifting it to him.

History:
I bought it in the mid 60's I think, although I really do not remember...? (please save the old guy jokes :) )
It was used for plinking and the occasional squirrel outing...but not heavily fired.
The rifle was likely under cleaned internally over the early years but the barrel was always cleaned.
The riflle sat for 30+ years in gun safe storage...and as I tried out about 5 months ago...it still fires accurately...but not consistently.
I did all the ammo tests and the ammo was not the FTF issue.
The rifle always fired the first round, and mostly mis fired one or more there after, always with a light strike to the rim of the shell casing. Every misfired shell was easily fed and fired in a newer Walther P22...so the ammo worked.

I have tried 4 different trips to two different DFW area gunsmiths, with no real luck...other than one who estimated a $160 repair to pull the barrel and "peen" the shell chamber housing...? Is this a real repair...or just gunsmith double talk? Could a seating issue with the round in the chamber be the weak striking issue with the firing pin? The firing pin was cleaned and resurfaced..by one gunsmith...but same FTF occurs.

One of them said he put different springs in the weapon...but he is long gone (out of business) and I do not know what he replaced or what he replaced them with...if he did at all! I am not sure how to ID the springs...and even if they are still available for this older model?

I formerly thought the Marlin Factory folks might repair it...but no...they do not work on anything over 30 years from manufacture...no help there!

So I am looking to the experienced good folks in this forum to provide some additional ideation for my quest

Any and all feedback is appreciated,
R_che

·
Registered
450 Posts
There is an excellent Rimfire section on this site and I have found several answers by searching through old threads. I have a 75 that I got when my dad passed and had a couple of issues with it. Part of it was that the disconnector spring was missing so there was no way to release the trigger. If I understand it correctly the Glenfield 75 is the same as the Marlin Model 60 of the same era. I ordered the spring I needed from Numrich and after installing it the gun would fire but wouldn't eject. I searched through the old threads and found one that explained how to adjust the lifter spring (one end is used as the ejector) and now it functions great. Good luck and welcome to MO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts