Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I'm new here! Bought a Glenfield Model 60 a couple months ago at a gun show. It was made in 76 or 78. I can't remember off the top of my head. I had a couple questions for you all...

Every other round the cartridge jams up beside the chamber, holding the action open. This bends and deforms the bullets, which wastes a lot. I was wondering if anybody else had had this problem and if anyone has any suggestions to fix it? The gun functions pretty much perfectly if it is well oiled just before shooting once it's had a chance to get warm, which made me think it might be a problem with a spring?

And, do the new parts from someplace like Brownells fit into these older rifles?

Also, I had a round explode in the chamber today. Caused a very loud boom and a ringing ear. The rifle appeared to be fine. Checked the barrel for obstructions and continued shooting. Has anybody had this happen? I've never heard of it happing in .22s before.

Thought I'd post a pic for you all. It definatley needs a little TLC, so it'll be a project gun. I've never worked on them before, and figure I'm not blowing much money if I mess something up.

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
Welcome!, read on down the forum list here in Rimfire, there has been a lot of activity as of late with the Model 60 and Glenfields. Seems these are showing up and problems range from ftf and fte to jamming seriously. I had the same problem with my old Glenfield, managed to get my hands on the needed parts from Marlin. These parts are getting very hard to find now, they were hard to get back then a few years ago. I would not be shooting your rifle if it's sending a round off while trying to chamber...bad juju! Take a look at Arrowdodgers sticky at the top on the 60's, you might find out all you need is to bend a spring. Good Luck. Mr fixit

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys you guys!

Eric,

The rounds look just like that! I'm gunna pick up a feedthroat to replace the current one, and will do the springs also.

The round the fired was actually in the chamber, which makes me think it was double loaded or something. Never had that happen before, and it gave me quite a start!

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
Emberglo, I copied this info from another post I had made earlier this year. Do a search for the Model 60, there has been a lot of posts lately. You'll need more than the springs and feed throat, the part numbers you see listed in this post have been changed by Remington and someone here has those numbers posted, you'll find it if you search. Good luck! Mr fixit

This is the link to Arrowdodgers power point presentation on the Model 60...excellent, http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,24657.0.html
and he is from Rimfire Central also! I posted few years back in a post by handyandy listing the particulars of what a person would need, oh heck, I did a search....

"handyandy, AS QUOTED FROM THE MARLIN LETTER I HAVE
old part no.---new part no. ---description
207178 -----------307287 --------cartridge lifter
320795------------307295-------ejector/lifter spring
420395------------207285----------feedthroat
The old style parts are no longer available and if any ONE of the above parts requires replacement, ALL three (3) MUST be replaced with new style parts.

The retail price for the conversion kit is $20.00. We trust this will meet with your approval.

note: IN THE EVENT THE FIREARM FITS ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:

(1) has no serial number
(2) serial number begins with a 7 or
(3)serial number is higher than 24,000,000 the Breech Bolt assembly must be replaced. A special price for the bolt assembly is $25.00 Part Number 707186

I have other info regarding shipping and as soon as I can get my computer up and running I will post that for all to see. Hope this helps, glad to be of assistance to all who are needing this info." :wink:

There you have it, I know someone did a rebuild recently(in the last year) they got the parts from Remington Customer service i think Numbers were a little different and the price is a bit higher. Good luck finding what you need as I've heard they are scarce. Mr fixit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mr. Fixit! I found that post last night, and found that Brownells sells a kit with all the needed parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My old Western Auto Revelation 120 is having feed problems and the rounds get to looking exactly like Eric0424's pic above. I'm thinking of doing the feed throat conversion but had a few more questions first. I hear most people saying that they get this kind of jamming occasionally while shooting. In my case, even as I cycle the bolt slowly it will jam every time. I pull the bolt back, the round enters and as I sloooowwwwwwly slide the bolt forward the tip of the round jumps quickly to the right, every time.

Does this still sound like a feed throat issue? Is something supposed to be holding the rear left side of the round as it moves forward?

And lastly, in the pic above you can clearly see the ejector spring sitting on top of the feed throat. Is there an old style spring that doesn't sit on top? Mine doesn't. The end of the spring is down in the action. I'm wondering if it's just broken and that's the whole problem.

Thanks!
Randy

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
The first style Marlin did come out with did sit under the feedthroat. You probably have the first generation bolt as well. If you get the feedthroat kit then you will have to replace the bolt as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've seen posts that talk of filing the new feed throat to get the old style bolt to clear. Is it possible I could get away with it this way? I'm wondering how many "old" versions there are...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Been shooting my old 71 glenfield squirrel stocked Rifle.
It's got the new feed throat and all new mcarbo Springs.
Trigger job..and Dip trigger guard.
I actually like this rig better than the new ones with the bolt hold open.
The trigger is fantastic. And this Rifle likes Remington Golden's.
Lotta fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As far as having had a round blow up in the rifle I had a round blow out half the rim in a Rossi Mdl. 62 one time. Never had it happen again though. I can't remember the ammo I was using back then (mid 90's) but did notice that after that some rounds had a much louder report and some slightly lower sound. I pulled the lead out of the rest and added them to my casting pot.

Steve.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts