Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, ive found a Marlin Glenfield mod 30 30-30 win cleaning out my in laws storage it has some rust and the front sight is missing.
The barrel seems to be bad right where the front sight is. Ive been trying to find a barrel for it with no luck. So my question is what other barrels will fit? Or should I have the barrel cut by a gun smith? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Post a Pic & We'll be Able to See, Exactly What You're Talkin About.
Hard to Give Advice on Somethin' Ya Can't See.
If it was Me & The End of the Barrel is Truely Shot: I'd Cut & Crown it.
Otherwise just Clean Her Up w/ some Kroil & 0000 Steel Wool.
Replace The Front Sight & Take her out 'n "Choot 'Er"
Good Find & Welcome to the Forum.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Hi Daveed and welcome to the Forum! Yep, that barrel has 16.25" wrote all over it. Have fun with it, and enjoy the Forum!

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice thread there jack, hows the accuracy? I might as well do what u did just not as short, just enough to get rid of the bad spot on the barrel. Believe it or not this is my first rifle ever! really looking forward to shooting and going hunting.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Yep. Barrel Is Definitely Split at the Front Sight Dovetail.
Chop It :biggrin: Lots of Posts on Here on How To Do It.
Many of Us Here have Done it Ourselves. Not Really that Hard to Do.
Just Take your Time to get the Barrel Square.
UncleSarge58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Nice find, I just recently picked up a Glenfield. It seems to be a prety accurate little rifle, haven't put that may rounds through it yet but what I did was at 50 yds. I was impressed. They "some of the guys on here" say that the Marlins with end caps are more accurate than the two barrel band models. I plan on testing this for myself as now I have one of both.

So I vote to chop it. Good luck with the project, keep us up to date on it please.
And welcome to MO from a small bluff here in W TN.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Is it my old eyes or is it the picture that makes the barrel look pooched on left side of dovetail? Squib? I cannot believe a barrel went out the door with dovetail cut into bore. I really like them Ol' Glenny 30's with short mag, hurts a little to see one in pain. Yep, has short barrel written all over it now with A GOOD TEAR DOWN, CLEANING AND INSPECTION! Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Another vote to shorten her and enjoy a quicker handling and often more accurate rifle.
Enjoy your new find and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome to MO. Best of luck with your project. Don't hesitate to ask questions, gives us something to do.

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Is that front sight dovetail cut all the way down into the bore ??? Yikes!

Glenfields usually shoot well, really well. Embarrassingly well sometimes... :biggrin:

IF that dovetail is cut down into the bore, you MUST shorten the tube. I like the factory length, so I'd only cut it back enough to get past that area, and then I'd have a good gunsmith cut in a new dovetail and replace the sight. Lots of good sights out there. This might be a good time to upgrade.

You've got a good lever action rifle there. It just needs some help. Well worth a few dollars worth of gunsmithing, or some time on your part. It's worth saving.

Regards, Guy

·
Super Moderator
17,221 Posts
Welcome From Alabama. What A Beauty For A First Rifle. Restore It. And Like Sarge Says, Choot It!

·
Registered
708 Posts
That there has short barrel truck gun written all over it. I wish I could scoop one up at a decent price, or better yet find it like you did! Looks like a fun project.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Read all the how-to's on this forum. Then taken your Glenfield on as a project. You will gain a wealth of knowledge and experience in doing so, and have some fun and frustrations along the way. Keep us informed of your progress. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
With a little TLC and barrel chopping, you'll have one nice rifle! :congrats:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts