Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather curious about this bolt. I've always kept the gun cleaned after a good shooting for the year that I have had it- but never have I cleaned or even given a good look at the bolt. To my understanding, these bolts are sort of an oddjob and most folks won't take to disassembling them if the don't have to. Kind of the opposite that I hear about Mosins and whatnot.

My deal is, how can I properly disassemble this bolt and reassemble it? It's actually quite messy and grimey on the inside and I just want to give it a good cleaning. Are there any visual instructions on how to do so?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Are you talking about disassembling and cleaning the bolt itself? Or are you planning to simply field strip the rifle for cleaning?

·
Registered
968 Posts
You will find very detailed info at the Marlin bolt action forum at Rimfirecentral.com.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you talking about disassembling and cleaning the bolt itself? Or are you planning to simply field strip the rifle for cleaning?
Disassembling and cleaning the bolt is definitely what I have in mind, I'm not so sure that it has been cleaned or even touched in at least a decade or so.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would suggest soaking it in mineral spirits for a couple of hours rather than dissassembly. I have read that these can be a pain in the backside.

Mals

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could try soaking it in mineral spirits, and I'm sure that's what I'll end up doing honestly.

But for future reference, are there any visual guides for assembling/disassembling this bolt? I've spent a lot of time trying to find one but to no avail.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Numrich has schematics for such stuff. The bolt comes apart with one pin. Drive it out and catch the sproinging innards. Easy. Reassembly not so easy, might need a second set of hands and a vise to hold/squeeze in order to get the pin back in. BTDT.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You will need friends to help. A couple of extra hands. And those hands must have at least thirteen fingers (extra thumbs are necessary in three of the 2000 steps) on each hand, as is indicated by the assembly instructions. :)

Reactions: gunscrewguy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts