Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a nice Glenfield 60 at a gunshow a few weeks ago for a neighbor. It has a feeding problem as it looks like it is trying to feed the shell too nose high and it cannot get into chamber. I tried Federal bulk and CCI High Velocity and neither worked. Should I be using standard velocity ammo in this gun because of it's age? Same gun as new 60s though so high velocity should work?

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
May I make a suggestion? I have fired many brands and types of ammo in a Glenfield 60. It should take high speed allright. If you have not done so I suggest you take the gun out of the stock and give it a thorough cleaning, to include running a brass brush through the feed tube. Too, I have found almost every rifle I have owned will have it's own favorite brand of ammo. I know it is expensive but buy a single box (or beg a handful) of different brands, but do so and give them a try once you have the rifle cleaned and reassembled. Good luck with your project. Shenandoah

·
Registered
251 Posts
Let me know how this works! I'm curious as to what it takes to reolve your issue.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I have a '75 Glenfield M60 and have not had too many issues with it. I think I will brush my magazine tube too as am getting ready to tear it down for a refinish job. Thanks for that tip Shenandoah.

bjm

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check the position of the ejector wire. It should be as high as a nickel and a nickels width from the left side of the feed ramp. This is a common fix for feed problems in a 60. Also some of my 60s just hate hollow points. I was told a hollow point can be a little to fat at the nose?? I try to shoot plated solids and have few if any feed probs.
Good luck 60s are good little shooters.

·
Super Moderator
16,523 Posts
In reality the rifle should shoot any ammo, how ever I will agree some ammo better than others. If you still have problems after you have tried other ammo and you've checked the ejector wire, you may find that you need a new feed throat assembly. I replaced mine on one of the older 60 model, she works like a swiss watch. Do a search for myself or handyandy and you should find some references. Mr fixit

·
Super Moderator
16,523 Posts
Barefoot, here is a pic of the old and the new feedthroats, they are similar but not identical. My old one has a slot that the ejector wire sits in the newer one may have just a hollow for it to rest in I don't recall. The newer feedthroat shows the wire in position, if you go to Arrowdodgers PPP above in the stickys, it'll take you step by step through a total tear down and reassembly. Mr fixit

·
Super Moderator
16,523 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought the feedthroat, cartridge lifter and lifter/ejector spring from Numrich on the last one I had to upgrade. Depending on the age of your rifle you may need all three parts, the one here was a 78 or 79 model.

The link above the picture in my other post is a thread I created on the work involved with the upgrade.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called Numrich and they do not have any in stock. Let me get this straight about "old style" vs. New style". My serial number starts with 7 and they said that was the old style and that I would need a converter kit and a new breach bolt and no old style types are available. They are on back order and add up to half what it's worth. Any options for an old style or any other ideas? Any other vendors? Do I really need a new bolt?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts