Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I've looked and looked and maybe I didn't look well enough so I apologize for any old topics. But I recently bought a glenfield model 20 with the engraved wood chuck on the stock, beautiful rifle, just needs a little love! So today I spent 2 hours on the phone with a gentleman from marlin firearms. And from what he gathered from their records the serial number on this rifle dated back to the late 1930's. (1935-1939) he could not be exact because they can only date firearms back to 1940 due to a destruction of records from the 30's. It has a (JM) stamped on the barrel for John Marlin. But the most interesting part of what he said, was the wood chuck engraved into the stock. He found one indication of this in their records (which had to be Obtained through years of searching) is these were a special edition for JC Penney in the thirties, no idea how many were made, but he seemed quite excited at the rarity of the rifle and suggested I take great care of it through the years! Just some interesting things I learned today and maybe some of you can chime in and add to what else you may know. Dying to find out more info! Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! I've never seen one like it for sure, but the real experts will be along shortly. You might also post this in the rimfire or Marlin collectors section of the forum. MO member Schtoolee is the resident expert on dating stuff! John

·
Premium Member
14,165 Posts
First off Welcome to Marlin Owners.
Second off, don't ask Remington employees, to tell you anything about a Marlin.
The model 20 was cataloged from 1966-81. If it has a serial number, what are the first 2 letters or numbers? If it dos not have a serial, there should be 2 letters on the barrel. Tell me ether of these, and I can tell you when it was actually made. And maybe show you a picture of the catalog page.

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
See, I told you Schtoolee was the real expert! Thanks Schtoolee! John

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

Reactions: Plinkster

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome to the best forum on the net

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off Welcome to Marlin Owners.
Second off, don't ask Remington employees, to tell you anything about a Marlin.
The model 20 was cataloged from 1966-81. If it has a serial number, what are the first 2 letters or numbers? If it dos not have a serial, there should be 2 letters on the barrel. Tell me ether of these, and I can tell you when it was actually made. And maybe show you a picture of the catalog page.
First off, thank you to everyone for the welcome! Nice to know there is a great deal of respect for all members! And I am a little confused? Marlin firearms company is owned by Remington? I don't know if that's common knowledge or not but I didn't know, if that is the case. And if what you say I true then I'll be disappointed :( he told me ( an I guess should be taken with a grain of salt) that he could definitively date marlin firearms back to 1940..anyways the serial number is 22714467 and the only letters on the barrel are (JM).. Do you know anything about the engraving? Thanks for your help, the gentlemen referred me to this forum before we hung up the phone.

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,165 Posts
Yes it is a 1978, you go by the first 2 numbers, in your case. Here is the 1978 catalog pages, showing the Woodchuck.
I think they have a dart board on the wall, with varies answers, to questions that are asked about Marlins. Since they fired every single original Marlin employee, there is no one there that has a clue. But at least they set you, to us.
Sorry it wasn't made in the 30's, but I think you will find it is a good shooter. Look at the bottom of my post, there is a link to Marlin dates and production.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun Right click to enlarge, left click to download.

P.S. Remington finally shut the doors, of the Real Marlin in 2009.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Super Moderator
16,071 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum........................

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Kansas!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, even if it isn't from the 1930's have fun shooting it!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, nice rifle find, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts