Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked a Glenfield/Marlin 25 at a recent gun show for a steal. Looks great, and when a round actually comes out, it shoots great too. The issue is that more often than not the rounds fail to fire. The firing pin appears to be striking the cartridge because there is a dent made. I have tried three different kinds of ammo and all with the same results. My plan is to completely tear the gun down this week and give it a really thorough inspection and cleaning, but I'm wondering if any one has any suggestions on what might be the cause. My theory is that there is an issue with the firing pin (too many dry fires) or I might just need a new firing spring, but I don't to just start throwing money at it if I don't have too.

If needed, I can post pics of the pin and the dented cartridges tonight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to make this guy my regular shooter.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I have the same problem with my single-shot model 15, I've even taken it to a gunsmith... he reshaped the firing pin but it didn't really help. It's a bit annoying, but I just lift the bolt to cock it again and it fires on the second try.

I do suspect the mainspring but it's pretty far down the 'To Do' list.

'mattdennis3'... now that's funny! (My name is Dennis and my brother's is Matt... ;D )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if its just a tired old spring. I don't know the guns history so it's really hard to say. If my cleaning job doesn't provide any results, or further clues, I think it's off to the gunsmith.

Yeah I'm the guy with three first names. That is funny about you and your brother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took apart the rifle last night and gave it a good cleaning. It was pretty dirty, so I put it back together and will shoot it this weekend to see if it makes any difference. In the event that it didn't, I'm going to order a new spring and pin and see if that does the trick. What is the best way to remove the little pin that is holding the firing pin assembly in place?

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
h d hawg'r said:
I had a 783 22 mag that acted like that. Changed the extractor and it shot just fine.
Funny thing about mine, it looks like the extractor is twisted... I just assumed it is the way it was designed, but now you have my curiosity... ???

·
Registered
45 Posts
I suppose the firing pin may be wore down enough to be an issue even though the dent is there. I disassembled my bolt and reshaped my pin because it was mushroomed and wouldnt return back inside the bolt. The firing pin is available at Numrich, I just ordered one and recieved it. It's a very inexpensive part and would not be a waste of money even if its not the only problem. If you plan to replace it yourself I would suggest ordering the front bolt retaining pin with it, as you will have to drive out the pin to get it apart. Good luck, TB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts