Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a nice Glenfield Model 30 today. AC serial prefix. It's one of the ones with the button mag and the dovetailed front sight. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. It's in great shape and I think it will become a 30-30 AI at some point. Lets see some Glenfield Guns!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I picked up a Glenfield 336 cheap at a pawn shop $150.00, cut it down to 16 inches. It is a handy and accurate little shooter. The only thing I don't care for is the stock. Cheap wood with some bad carving instead of checkering.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
35hunter,

Though I own only one Glenfield, a .22 auto, I would like to see more threads about them. Bearing the same quality as Marlin, because it is a Marlin they do have a personality of their own, fitting a different niche in the firearms market. Heck, I like to read about the other take offs like the Western Auto "Revelation" and others. There is an element of sentiment (dare I mention the word "ghost"?) that is intriguing.

So, how 'bout those Glenfields???

SS

·
Registered
356 Posts
I like that - looks better than my 336 RC - more like my 1895. I always like the look of the half/two thirds mag and the fore end cap.

Good find!

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I have a couple of the Marlins made for others, the old standby Mod 60 Glenfield with the squirl on the butt 22lr, and JC Higgens, 22Mag, which is a Levermatic model 57m made by Marlin.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
That surely is the best looking Glenfield I have ever seen. I have wanted that configuration forever. They are the most accurate from what I hear.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is the same configuration as the 30TK made for K-mart. That is actually what I thought it was when I first saw it. It came out of pawn and was behind the counter at the shop. Only upon further examination did I realize it was an earlier rifle than the 30TK. What year is AC prefix, in the '60's right? It's in amazing shape for that vintage. Not a scratch and blue wear only to the sides of the hammer and where the lever goes into the receiver. Pretty amazing. The wood is completely unmarked. There are a couple of small dings around the front sight where someone drifted it in the dovetail by whacking it with a sledgehammer! LOL it's not that bad. Glenfields are cheaper too...I paid $219.00 out the door.
I think it will make a super 30-30 AI.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
glenfields

I have 2 glenfields, 36G 30-30 which looks like yours, and a 75c 22 auto. I've taken about 6 deer with the 30-30, including the big 10 pointer I've got mounted. This was in the late 60's early 70's. The 22 auto has a tasco 2x4.5 scope on it, and a good fall squirrel rifle. :roll:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
35hunter,
AC is 1967. That is a very fine rifle regardless of whether it's a Glenfield or not. That configuration looks much like the old Marlin deluxe rifle configuration, more than the sporting carbine. The SC didn't have the forend cap, but instead had a forend band.
That's my favorite configuration in the newer Marlins.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
35hunter, Ranchdog got his 336A converted to AI by a smith up in Nebraska. He had a report on it in Beartooth. They oiled the finish and made it to a real using gun. I've got to find one of those!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts