Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Glenfield Model 60 (squirrel stock) serial number 7125xxxx that I bought used sometime around 1974-ish. It's occasionally had a failure to feed as long as I can recall, but last time out to thin out the prairie dog population, it just flat out quit feeding. The round would lodge up and left into the corner, missing the chamber, or catch the nose of the bullet cock-eyed in the chamber, gouging the lead and sticking. I've read up on the dis-assembly and cleaning (done) and referenced the pictures and articles here (good info - thanks to all who posted!).
My action look a bit different than the 3 possible nose feed and action pictures I've read about, and there's no ejector spring.
I'll post a few pics here, and here's my http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/DBAPilotDad/Glenfield%20Model%2060/ photobucket album with the rest. Hopefully someone can educate me.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
your last picture shows the feed throat and thats its 2 pieces not cast very well. That is the part that causes the problem. The new ones are cast much better and the problem corrected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Greenhorn. What about an ejector spring? Does this model or variant not have one? It does eject ok when it works, so I assume the two extractor hooks also function as an ejector. The right extractor is very stiff, while the left is very weak, which I assume causes the extraction when the bolt cycles, releasing the left extractor, causing ejection?

I also read that for serial # starting with 7, a new bolt/kit is required when replacing the nose feed?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a M60 of the same year. It has a ejector which is the top end of the lifter spring. The top end of the spring rides in the groove in the left side of the feed throat(when looking forward). Your pic shows that end of the spring tucked under the throat. Could someone have installed the lifter spring wrong?
The sticky in the Marlin forum at rimfirecentral has a great slide show of the M60 action. The spring should ride in the groove, tilt up and in towards the center of the feed ramp to function properly. I spent awhile getting mine right before I cleared up the problem.
Just a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
This is the link to Arrowdodgers power point presentation on the Model 60...excellent, http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,24657.0.html
and he is from Rimfire Central also! I posted few years back in a post by handyandy listing the particulars of what a person would need, oh heck, I did a search....

"handyandy, AS QUOTED FROM THE MARLIN LETTER I HAVE
old part no.---new part no. ---description
207178 -----------307287 --------cartridge lifter
320795------------307295-------ejector/lifter spring
420395------------207285----------feedthroat
The old style parts are no longer available and if any ONE of the above parts requires replacement, ALL three (3) MUST be replaced with new style parts.

The retail price for the conversion kit is $20.00. We trust this will meet with your approval.

note: IN THE EVENT THE FIREARM FITS ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:

(1) has no serial number
(2) serial number begins with a 7 or
(3)serial number is higher than 24,000,000 the Breech Bolt assembly must be replaced. A special price for the bolt assembly is $25.00 Part Number 707186

I have other info regarding shipping and as soon as I can get my computer up and running I will post that for all to see. Hope this helps, glad to be of assistance to all who are needing this info." :wink:

There you have it, I know someone did a rebuild recently(in the last year) they got the parts from Remington Customer service i think :eek: Numbers were a little different and the price is a bit higher. Good luck finding what you need as I've heard they are scarce. Mr fixit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info - appreciate it. If the lifter spring is installed incorrectly, it's been that way since before I bought it (might explain the "good deal" I got) ;D If I can get the end of the spring out and along side the lifter, what then gives the lifter upward tension or pressure? With the tail tucked under the lifter, most likely giving it too much upward force, that could explain the FTFeed, I guess - jamming the nose of the round up too far.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mr Fixit has made a good point. Download the slide show and keep it handy for reference. If your not in a big hurry, there other things you can try:
1. Make sure the extractors are free in their slots and that their springs are in good shape.
2. Use 400 wet or dry and remove any crud, bumps, scratches or such from the feed ramp.
3. Polish the feed port at the bottem of the assembly.
4. When does it FTF. If at the end of string, you might check the feed tube assembly and spring.
5. Check to insure the bolt is free and the recoil spring is in good shape.
6. Make sure the lifter arm is free and not binding on its post.
Lastly, mine was very sensitive to ammo. It really hates hollow points. It likes plated ammo.
You might want to cycle some MiniMags to see if they help. Also try some Rem Vipers as they have a truncated point that feeds better in mine.
I was at the point of ordering a feed throat kit for mine, but I got it working. I did not want to put a lot of $$ into something I paid $50 for. New trigger and charging handle added $50 so now I'm up to $100

Best of Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
help on marlin 60

This is the link to Arrowdodgers power point presentation on the Model 60...excellent, ArrowDodger's Model 60 Power Point Presentation..
and he is from Rimfire Central also! I posted few years back in a post by handyandy listing the particulars of what a person would need, oh heck, I did a search....

"handyandy, AS QUOTED FROM THE MARLIN LETTER I HAVE
old part no.---new part no. ---description
207178 -----------307287 --------cartridge lifter
320795------------307295-------ejector/lifter spring
420395------------207285----------feedthroat
The old style parts are no longer available and if any ONE of the above parts requires replacement, ALL three (3) MUST be replaced with new style parts.

The retail price for the conversion kit is $20.00. We trust this will meet with your approval.

note: IN THE EVENT THE FIREARM FITS ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:

(1) has no serial number
(2) serial number begins with a 7 or
(3)serial number is higher than 24,000,000 the Breech Bolt assembly must be replaced. A special price for the bolt assembly is $25.00 Part Number 707186

I have other info regarding shipping and as soon as I can get my computer up and running I will post that for all to see. Hope this helps, glad to be of assistance to all who are needing this info." :wink:

There you have it, I know someone did a rebuild recently(in the last year) they got the parts from Remington Customer service i think :eek: Numbers were a little different and the price is a bit higher. Good luck finding what you need as I've heard they are scarce. Mr fixit

i have a marlin limited edition 6079 that is jamming on first round and about 8 round later. it is serail # tk008562 and was wanting to know if these items will work in my gun? any help would be great. thanks harry

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thanks for the info - appreciate it. If the lifter spring is installed incorrectly, it's been that way since before I bought it (might explain the "good deal" I got) ;D If I can get the end of the spring out and along side the lifter, what then gives the lifter upward tension or pressure? With the tail tucked under the lifter, most likely giving it too much upward force, that could explain the FTFeed, I guess - jamming the nose of the round up too far.
Isn't that awesome? You get a good deal on a gun and spend :30 working on it to make it a *great* gun? Yay internet! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just be aware that the power point presentation referenced above is for the new style action. The lifter spring placement is different.

I bought my old style Glenfield when I was 14 years old with money made from lawn mowing. I think I paid about $30 for it.

I can see what I think is the ejector (built into the feed throat) is worn back at an angle. Mine is like that also. I believe the new design has a steel spring. The gun has sentimental value, I wish I could just buy an old style feed throat.

If I take the gun apart and carefully clean all the nook and crannies associated with the extractors, etc. it helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts