Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine has a penchant for finding "great deals" on what he believes are collectible fireams. Problem is, he knows very little about fireams collecting and tends to overpay outrageously for what are just old guns. He's always excited when he calls me about a new find, and usually I then have to let him down as easy as possible when he brings it to me for inspection.

Case in point. Last weekend he went to a gunshow and called me that evening to tell me he had bought a Model 36SC in near-mint condition for $300. Did I think it was worth that much? Well, yes I did, IF it was what he thought it was. Next day he brought it over, and I groaned inwardly as he pulled it out of it's case -- it had a 336 action. Yes, it said "Marlin" and "Model 36" on the barrel, but it also said "Glenfield Products". I am familiar with the Glenfield 36A and its birch stock, but had never seen one with walnut, which this one had. Overall, it was a very nice rifle and, compared price-wise to a new 336 certainly worth it as a shooter to someone who likes rifles from 35-40 years back better than today's, but I told him I wouldn't have gone that high for it.

Maybe I was wrong in my opinion? I'm not aware of much collector interest in the Glenfields. Would you folks have paid 3 bills for it?

One thing's for sure -- the lesson is, don't buy what you don't know. The dealer he bought this from is one he's known for a long time, and he pitched it as a Marlin 36 and a genuine collectable at least 60-65 years old. He was either as ignorant as my buddy or knows an easy mark when he sees one.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Three bills is about double what I would have paid. While the seller may have been unscrupulous, you have to go into places like gun shows and used car dealerships with your eyes wide open.

I always take reference books along, leaving them in the pickup while I'm inside. If I am not sure of something, I excuse myself to research it.

I think we talked of gun show strategy here on the forum sometime last year. It's not a bad idea to have a list of specific items you are looking for - makes it easier to research and have notes in your pocket. That's easy for me to say, though - I can be one of the worst impulse buyers, too!

Perhaps your friend will enjoy the rifle - reload for it - find a nice scope and accessories like a custom sling. The more he uses it and comes to enjoy it, the more trivial the price paid will seem. SW

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
NebrHogger said:
I think we talked of gun show strategy here on the forum sometime last year. It's not a bad idea to have a list of specific items you are looking for - makes it easier to research and have notes in your pocket. That's easy for me to say, though - I can be one of the worst impulse buyers, too!
Sound advice - and I have a few people in mind or listed to call if in doubt....

Shum8

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NebrHogger said:
Three bills is about double what I would have paid.
That's about what I would have gone, too, NebrHogger -- perhaps $200 if I were really itchin' for a .30-30, as it IS a very nice one.

When I go shopping anywhere, gunshow or pawnshop, I know what I'm looking for, and what I'll be willing to pay if I see it. Every now and then I'll see something unfamiliar that piques my interest, but I've gotten pretty good thru the years at walking away until I can research it. My poor buddy lacks the willpower to do that, I guess, and as a consequence has a closet full of stuff of absolutely no distinction, for which he'd be exceedingly lucky to get half what he paid.

My friend sees this dealer as a friend, and doesn't want to believe he intentionally screwed him. I say it's happened to him too often with this guy to be coincidence, and fact is an unscrupulous person sees no friends, just marks.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The seller wasn't way off on the age, as if I remember correctly, the Glenfields marked model 36 were only built in the early to mid 1960's, so that would make it just a little exaggeration.
I agree with Hogger, even a mint one wont go much more than half what he paid, but like you, I wouldn't feel bad about paying $200 for a mint early Glenfield .30-30, as it's worth it as a shooter. I don't know of anyone who collects Glenfields, but there's sure lots of folks enjoying them, and an early one with walnut stock is as good as any regular 336 from that era. An early 1960's 336 isn't collectable either, so it's not much different.
He could have done a lot worse than to pay a hundred bucks more than he should. He'll still get that much enjoyment from it, if he plans to shoot it much.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd be delighted if it converted him to a levergun fan. He's been a Magnum Man for quite a while (bolt guns of every description, autos), yet has rarely, if ever, killed a deer over 100 yards away. Hard convincing him that sometimes less can be more, and Lord knows I've been trying for years! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts