Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Marlin only make these in 1980? I can't find one listed in any other catalogue I have. I know this isn't a big deal, and a Glenfield won't ever be a valuable collectible, but I am just curious. Thanks

A 30GT is just a Glenfield version of a 336T, straight grip with an 18 1/2" barrel.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I am not sure of the dates but I know that the Glenfields were made well before 1980. I believe they were the forerunners to the low-end Marlins made today, ie: 336A (birch stocks) other subtle differences were 3/4 magazines, cheaper sights. Promotional units? I would guess that the G stood for Glenfield and the T for Texan (straight grip)

Papalote

·
Registered
96 Posts
I only see them in the 79 and 80 catalogs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
According to Brophy's book, the model 30 GT was made in 1979-1980. Straight stock, square lever, full magazine tube, and 18.5 inch barrel.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I saw that listed this weekend too, first time I had seen one. Its an interesting looking rifle. I like the kind of cheesy look of the glenfields but I wish they had the hooded front sight. There's also a straight stocked 35rem listed but they don't give the barrel length.
Brian

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought my Glenfield 30GT in 1979 at the Western Auto Store in Lusk, Wyoming. Price was $129.95 and worth every penny.

The yellowish stock is actually beech and not birch. The design was stamped into the wood with a hot iron. Features a buck's head and acorns. I've always like the design.

Glenfield rifles may not turn many heads at gun shows but this one has sure put a lot of meat on the table for my family.
Jack

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a glenfield 30 gt back about 1980 , it was a christmas gift and i loved it!
but alas some lowlife stole it from me in the late 80's
sure wish i had it back!

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
My Glenfield is actually my favorite rifle. It's very accurate. I call her "Blondie."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts