Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Glenfield 30GT

5K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Cascade Jinx 
#1 ·
This 30-30 was a very recent GB purchase. It was described as being 95% and a clean rifle. That was a gross understatement. This rifle is just like brand-new.
I do not know where it has been for over 30 years, but it's been well protected.

No bluing wear, no scuffs, no rust, and a bright bore. With it's 18 1/2" barrel
and Texan butt stock it is really a pretty rifle even with it's birch wood stock.
Also, the fit and finish of wood to metal is almost perfect.

I don't know if the 30GT was made in .35 Rem. or not. But, if it was, the search continues. Does anyone know?

Well, I don't know what I did with these pictures this time but I will keep working on it.

Select "Modify" to see how I enabled these links with the img command.... Ranch Dog

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
Ouch. Stop rubbing it in!

Seriously, I'm glad it is a great gun. It looked really good on GB. Wish I could have bid higher! ;)

#5 ·
trapper-xx said:
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/trapper-xx/GlenfieldGT.jpg?t=1298682960

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/trapper-xx/Glenfield-1.jpg?t=1298683050

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/trapper-xx/Glenfield-2.jpg?t=1298683357

Well, I don't know what I did with these pictures this time but I will keep working on it.
Just bracket the link as follows in the code box below....
Code:
[img]the link here[/img]
I'm going to edit your post, go back and select edit to see how I added the img commands at the start and end of the link...

#6 ·
That is a great looking rifle, well done! I bought one last year, my Dad saw it and started hunting with it immediately leaving his Winchester M94 behind for the first time since 1968! Here is what a 30GT looks like with a deer. Show this to your rifle so it knows what to do as it must not have seen much action in it's lifetime.

My dad shot the buck with my TLC311-165-RF and 36.0-grains of BL-C(2).

#8 ·
That is a beauty trapper-xx congrats on winning the bid on her!!!!Hope she serves you well for many years!!!!!

#9 ·
My brother bought one just like yours, made in 1980, and it also looked unfired. He got it when he went to look at an estate sale and the widow asked him if he was interested in a gun her husband owned. He got the gun, case, sling, scope and 2 boxes of ammo for $250. I wonder why I never find these deals? ???

#10 ·
gabepossenti,

It has always been my policy never to bid on a rifle that a fellow MO member is bidding on to try to win it away from him or her, or bid the price up for that member. I've passed on a number of rifles for just that reason. And, I hope others would show me the same consideration. The fact is that I could probably bid higher than most here if I wanted a particular rifle. I don't mind paying a bit too much for a rifle that I really want, but I won't do it. It's just a matter of courtesy with me. That's how I feel, but everyone has to do what he, personally, thinks is right.

#11 ·
Brian in FL said:
gabepossenti,

It has always been my policy never to bid on a rifle that a fellow MO member is bidding on to try to win it away from him or her, or bid the price up for that member. I've passed on a number of rifles for just that reason. And, I hope others would show me the same consideration. The fact is that I could probably bid higher than most here if I wanted a particular rifle. I don't mind paying a bit too much for a rifle that I really want, but I won't do it. It's just a matter of courtesy with me. That's how I feel, but everyone has to do what he, personally, thinks is right.
Great philosophy Brian. I feel exactly the same way.

#12 ·
Brian in FL said:
Hm. Well, I didn't mean to start this sort of discussion here, but since you bring it up, I really do not share your view about this. A gun for sale in a public auction is open to any legal bidder. I'll bid what I'm able (or willing) to pay. If someone else is able to pay more, they'll get it. As far as I'm concerned, I don't need to know who else is bidding on an item. In fact, it had been my understanding that the names of the other bidders are concealed. I'm actually not sure how someone would find out the names of the other bidders, unless there's some public discussion about the gun here on the board.

Incidentally, I will say this: if I only learn about a certain gun for sale from someone here on the board, then my policy would be quite different. For example, there's a topic in the 1894 forum where a member posted a link to a gun he was bidding on. I wouldn't bid on that gun, simply because I would feel it to be taking advantage of the other member. But a gun I've discovered on my own, and have been actively and eagerly searching for, for weeks or months or years, and that I discover for myself by searching the auction sights, rather than being pointed to it by another bidder...nah, that's fair game and I'm not going to back out just because somebody else here wants it.

My own policy would be to keep quiet about guns I'm bidding on, and I would expect others to do the same. If you want the gun, buy it fair and square. As I say, no need to know who else is bidding.

#13 ·
First off, let me state that I was not posting in criticism of you, but, rather, stating my own personal philosophy in the matter. As to how I know a fellow MO member is bidding on a particular item, it is usually because they post about it here. Then, sometimes, when they bid under the same name that they use here, I recognize them. I remember when I was bidding on a rifle once, someone here posted that he had seen that I was bidding on it, and he wished me luck and said that that was the reason he was backing off.

Of course, when I don't know who is bidding against me, it's every man for himself unless someone posts here that we are bidding on the same rifle. Then, if he put in his bid before mine, I will back off and not continue to bid on it. I would hope that he would do the same. Like I said, this is my personal way of doing things. There's nothing intrinsically morally wrong about bidding against a fellow MO member, and it does give the seller a better price for his firearm. It's just a courtesy that I show other members. That's just the way I'm built. YMMV.

#14 ·
Trapper xx, that is an excellent looking rifle- congrats on your purchase! Hope it brings you many pounds of meat. ;D

#19 ·
Brian, I have a tendency to share your bidding view. My question is, how do you know that another Marlin owner is bidding? My gunbroker name is not the same as I am registered here and I suspect a lot of others have the same circumstance. Jack

#21 ·
trapper-xx said:
Bigjeepman:
I am somewhat embarrassed about those pictures. I hy-jacked them from the
sellers web page on GB. They were much better than my photos with the great
background that you noticed. Kudos go to the seller.
I have used seller pictures until I got over the initial excitement of a new-to-me gun. Not a problem as I just thought it looked pretty cool. I do a little woodburning myself.

bjm

#22 ·
I don't quite understand the not bidding against another MO member.
I wouldn't run up the price just to run it up, but if it was something I have been looking for and really wanted I would have to see who wanted it more.
Perhaps I am just evil!
Your thoughts???

Oh yes. That is A beautiful GT.

#23 ·
It's just a matter of courtesy that's part of my package. Although I've never been in a situation where another member was bidding on a must have rifle for me. I would hope that my attitude wouldn't change in that circumstance. Like I said, I've already backed off on some rifles where I recognized other MO member's screen names that were bidding on them. And I know of at least one case where a fellow MO member did the same for me ... and wished me luck on getting it ... and, I did.

There's nothing morally wrong with competing with another MO member for a rifle, but this is just the way I'm built.

#25 ·
Trapper nice Glenfield. I'd gladly trade mine I just got for yours for the difference I'm sure. Mine looks to be about 90% bluing and the stock needs refinishing. Otherwise pretty nice gun for $280 at a local pawn shop but sure isn't like new like yours. I'm jealous! I hope to shoot mine this weekend.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.