Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just bought this rifle last weekend. It initialy felt gritty and stiff when working the action. I've completely stripped it down, cleaned, reassembled, and lubed all moving parts. It improved greatly after the thorough cleaning. However, the action seems a little stiff for a 336, and my father's 336C is much smoother. I THINK that it has to do with the fit of the bolt in the reciever, since it is rather difficult to remove during cleaning. It doesn't bind during normal cycling, and all seams well until just past the end of its normal travel, but before it is free from the reciever, where I THINK it is rubbing on the extractor body (difficult to put into words). Any tips for slicking up the action? I am hesitant to lap anything in out of fear of removing metal i don't want to remove. It's nothing I can't live with or out of the ordinary, but I know it can be better. Any advice is appreciated

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
1.) Take the EJECTOR out, and see if that smooths the action. If it does, the ejection seat of the Ejector may be rubbing the bottom of the slot in the Bolt.....
Easy fix.

2.) remove the Bolt and see if the lever swings smoothly thru is travel, and not rubbing the top of the receiver.............If it does, thats an easy fix, too

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Hey hog hammer, from reading your post, the "gripping" seems to be when the finger lever is quite open on the downstroke, before the end of the stroke?
If that's the case, we could maybe rule out:
hammer spring stiffness, or
the interaction of the hammer and the bolt.

As it's not a problem as you are closing the action, We can also rule out:
Rear firing pin spring stiffness
Block binding due to rough surfaces
Finger lever plunger stiffness

So if I am right and it's on the last portion of the downstroke when the bolt is in the last part of its rearward travel?...
Maybe ejector to bolt interaction at the forward end of the bolt? Causing the bolt to bind on the right side of the receiver?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After following Tomray's advice, it is definitely ejector-to-bolt interference. So now that we know the problem, how does one go about fixing it? Where on the ejector am I to remove material?

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
After following Tomray's advice, it is definitely ejector-to-bolt interference. So now that we know the problem, how does one go about fixing it? Where on the ejector am I to remove material?
hoghammer,

Remove a little material from the portion of the EJECTOR that rides in the bottom of the Bolt slot (it's the area that actually ejects the cartridge)...............Probably .010 material removal will be enough. Then round the corners and edges to about a .005 rad.

Check the width of the Ejector to confirm it will slide freely in the Bolt slot, too

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Is the head of the ejector sitting sweetly in the hole and slot?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone, I have the rifle functioning smoothly now. Turns out I was chasing 2 different problems. One was the ejector hanging up in the channel on the side of the bolt. The other issue was the extractor dragging on the side of the reciever, making the removal of the bolt next to impossible. Both have been addressed and corrected. I appreciate everyone's assistance. This truelly is a great bunch of folks here on MO

·
Registered
17 Posts
:congrats:

That is what makes this such an amazing site. All you amazing people that enjoy this Marlin, and enjoy helping others with their Marlins.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I'm glad you got that all sorted out here, and can now go out and shoot that thing like crazy! Those "Glenny's" are good rifles... enjoy. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.