Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to the range yesterday to try out my Glenfield 30-30 pawn shop find. I started out firing some old 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt bullets. The more I shot, the harder it got to eject spent cases. A couple of times I had to use the butt of my palm to hammer on the lever to get the empty brass to eject. I was completely frustrated, but chose to try some new Federal 150 grain rounds, and they ejected much easier. I then tried some new Winchester 150 grain and new Remington 150 grain core-lokts. Both the Winchester and new Reminton rounds were a little difficult to eject, but nothing like that first batch of old Remingtons. The unpent rounds of all makers load and unload with no problems.

When I got home I completely broke down the gun, and noticed that near the back of the chamber, is a small patch of light rust with light pitting. I thought that the area with the pitting might be raised just enough to grab the spent round, and keep it from properly ejecting. I took some 0000 steel wool wrapped around a small dowell, along with some Break free CLP, and worked it for quite a while. I am confidnent the rust has been stopped, but I am not convinced the chamber has been smoothed back to it's exact dimensions. Obviously, I will need to shoot it again to see if any difference has been made. I then began to wonder why some manufacturers rounds hung up while others did not. I then began to wonder if it might be an ammo issue instead of a chamber issue.

This is my very first lever action, and I trust that some of you guys have, or know of those who have, had a similar issue. I rescued this gun from a pawn shop, and do not want to sink a lot of money into it with gunsmithing fees. Any insight, easy fixes or observations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You did exactly what I would have done. I bet it is fine. I have two gun that some fool must have taken a screwdriver or knife and scratched the chamber. I polished them and both guns shoot fine. I used a wooden cedar arrow and light sand paper I finished wth bronz wool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts