Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glenfield 30(a?) .30-30 w/16" bbl

The question: Does this sound like a factory offering for a Glenfield 30 - embossed blonde furniture, 16" bbl, pistol grip? I couldn't find the answer upon searching.

The story: Stopped by the local pawn shop yesterday looking for something completely unrelated and saw a little Glenfield 30 on the shelf. It had blonde wood - the guy behind the counter thought it might've been stripped down, but I'm not so sure about that. It has the embossed designs on the pistol grip & forearm, and it has a 16" barrel. The bluing looked to be 100%, and there was barely any wear on the lever. I wasn't able to check out the bore or guts. Marked price was $299, and he said he could go cash out-the-door for $265.

As tempted as I was, I was a rock. I didn't go home with the gun. After all, I don't really need another lever gun (okay, you can quit laughing now). Now that I've left without it, I'm afraid I'm tampering with the natural order of things...

Knowing how pawn shops work, I'm guessing they gave some poor sucker a stupid low amount for the gun, so I'm tempted to go back with a likewise stupid low counteroffer and work my way up. I'd like to know what I'm looking at before doing so, however.

I'm thinking I'll go back for a closer look of the bore & guts. I only fondled it for a brief two or three minutes, but if I recall correctly, it didn't appear to be refinished in any way, and all screws & plugs were in tact and in good shape. If it was cut down, it would've been a good job, as the crown looked factory. All metal and wood appeared to be in good shape. I'm also thinking it had a barrel band rather than a forearm cap.

Should the pawn shop be my first top Monday?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Re: Glenfield 30(a?) .30-30 w/16" bbl

What it is: A regular Glenfield 30 with the barrel cut down and the finish stripped. I'd jump on it for $265. Start at $200 and try to meet him below $265. You will get it a good price.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts

More than likely cut down... but if the work was done correctly and you want it, make an offer :)

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts

To my knowledge, no Glenfields were ever offered with a factory 16" bbl. I think 20" was the shortest for them. So as the other fellas said, it was probably cut down along the way somewhere. Stocks sound original but hard to say on the color. I've seen some factory Glenfield stocks that are very blonde so without actually looking at it it is hard to know if it was re-done.

$265 sounds like a very fair price if it is as good inside as outside. I paid $250 for a 36G and then another $75 to have the barrel cut and crowned and a new dovetail cut for the front sight. The 36G was the predecessor of the 30's and had smooth stocks. Remember, Glenfields are all Marlin, only a different name on the outside.

·
Registered
8,209 Posts

You had better go back and get that gun and be quick about it or tell me where it is and I will get it. By your description it sounds like a 30GT which are very much in demand. Most of them had blondish wood and the 16 or 16 1/4 inch barrel. I have been looking for one for quite a while. I have seen only one and the gunshot owner wanted $450.00 for it. It could be a 30 that has been cut down but it will say 30GT on the barrel if in fact it is one.

Regards
Horseshoe

·
Registered
728 Posts

I'm with Horseshoe.....go get it! I don;t own one, but I really love those Glenfields. The engraving/embossing and blond wood is, like Eli said, more likely than not, stock. Those embossings really set the Glenfields apart from other 336's.

Remember this about pawn shops: even if a guy pawned it for say, a mere $80, don;t be tricked into thinking that the pawn shop will let it go cheap. When they bought it from the guy, they already knew what it was worth, so there's only so much he'll go down.... in most cases anyway. I'd maybe try like Abel said, starting a little low, but don;t be too surprised if you end up right back where he started off! :)D) Remember, he already came down quite a bit from his original price. That doesn;t mean you can't work him down a little more, just don;t tick him off - you might end up back at the sticker price! (I would walk away if that happened) But good and humble negotiation skills go a long way.

To me, $265 is a pretty fair price for a 336 in good shape, walnut OR birch! Spend some time on GunBroker watching auctions as they end. Add about $60 (give or take $15 or so) to the final price and you'll learn alot. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I didn't even think of the 30GT. If it has a straight stock/grip instead of the pistol grip, its gotta be a 30GT. Either way, go get it!

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts

That sounds like a pretty fair price for that rifle, but it couldn't hurt to make a lower offer so long as you don't go too low and tick him off. Remember it's a pawn shop and they're quite used to dickering. I'd offer him $240 cash money out the door and take it for $265 if he won't come down any more. You just have to play it by ear.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts

My 30GT has an 18 1/2" barrel. GT's are standard 18 1/2" from the factory.
Also has a straight (texan) stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This one has the pistol grip stock. It could be an 18" bbl... again, only fondled it for a couple of minutes. I'll probably go have a closer look today after work.

ETA: Also has a full-length mag tube.

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well, sorry guys. This is rather embarrassing. I must've been smokin' dope or something Saturday. Went back to look at the gun today and quickly figured out 2 minutes is apparently not enough time for me to examine a gun.

It was a regular ol' 30A from 1974, complete with 20" bbl, various scratches around the forend cap, a couple of buggered up screws, and obviously stripped wood. I don't know what the hell I was thinking the other day... Especially since I have both 16" and 20" leverguns. The guts and bore looked fine, but it was clearly not the stellar example I thought I was looking at two days ago. That said, it's at Lakeview Pawn in The Colony, TX if anyone in the D/FW area is interested. They're really easy to negotiate with - I'd wager that I could've taken the gun home for two bills.

On the bright side... I came home with nice little blue/wood 1989 Papoose for $185.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts