Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a pair of 25’s awhile back, and I’m getting ready to start a little restoration work. One has been Ceracoated sniper gray, and the stock has been nicely refinished. The other has very nice blueing, but the stock needs work.

The blued rifle will receive a stock refinish, Leupold scope rings, and a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope that I already have. I’ve also ordered a M Carbo trigger spring. This is where I’ll need some advice. What pieces on this trigger will benefit from polishing? I’ve done many AR triggers, but this rimfire trigger is new territory. Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
First welcome to the forum, there plenty here that have tons of info, give it a little time. When you get done we love pic's ...

Reactions: 303hunter

·
Registered
100 Posts
I picked up a pair of 25’s awhile back, and I’m getting ready to start a little restoration work. One has been Ceracoated sniper gray, and the stock has been nicely refinished. The other has very nice blueing, but the stock needs work.

The blued rifle will receive a stock refinish, Leupold scope rings, and a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope that I already have. I’ve also ordered a M Carbo trigger spring. This is where I’ll need some advice. What pieces on this trigger will benefit from polishing? I’ve done many AR triggers, but this rimfire trigger is new territory. Any advice will be appreciated.
When you remove the trigger's pivot to install the new spring, get some 600 grit sandpaper and remove any burrs from the inside edges of the 2 pillars that the trigger rotates between. The trigger sides that contact against the pillars should be rather smooth, but if not then remove any burrs there also.

If the pivot is a press fit rather than a screw, be sure to insert an auto points feeler gauge to take up any gap between the pillars and trigger before driving out the pin, do the same when reinstalling. This will ensure the gap is retained and the pillars not pinched together.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’ve already driven the pin out. Hope I haven’t messed it up.
Just make sure the pillars didn't get bent together and are pinching the trigger so it doesn't pivot freely. Don't spread them apart any if you can get the trigger between them without needing to force it. A little synthetic grease that isn't temperature sensitive would also be good. Don't use a grease that gets hard in cold weather,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trigger spring arrived today, and is a bit larger diameter than the factory spring. Is this normal? I also found the pen spring that’s being used on utube, and it’s also larger diameter.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The Glenfield 25 used the early style trigger spring that is smaller in diameter than the later models. You will find that a flint spring from a lighter, or the spring from a tire valve stem to be the correct size.
The later models used a spring that was the same as the "BIC" pen spring that is popularly used.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Welcome from Missouri. I installed the MCarbo spring on my 25 and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Glenfield 25 used the early style trigger spring that is smaller in diameter than the later models. You will find that a flint spring from a lighter, or the spring from a tire valve stem to be the correct size.
The later models used a spring that was the same as the "BIC" pen spring that is popularly used.
Would it be possible to drill the hole in the trigger to fit the later spring? Excuse me if I’m asking dumb questions, but I’ve been an AR guy for a long time, and the bolt rifle work is pretty new to me.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You could modify the Glenfield trigger to work, but I would think that it would be easier to just use the correct size spring. Comparing the two triggers, it looks like you would have to notch the Glenfield trigger out to make it resemble the later model trigger.
Here is a picture of my Glenfield 25, and for comparison, the trigger on my 883.

Glenfield 25
P1010480.JPG

Marlin 883
P1010481.JPG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts