Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I purchased a Glenfield 15 at the weekend and had a play with it yesterday, fires really well except after the first round the extractor stopped working and I had to manually extract the empty casings with a screwdriver, yes I know that's probably not the best way to do it but I had one handy.

I pulled the bolt and was surprised how loose fitting the extractor was, is it supposed to just sit in the hole on the bolt or is it supposed to be fixed (as in not be able to move?)

There seemed to be a lot of play and I could just pull it off the bolt with no effort.

I placed an empty shell in the end of the bolt when it was off the rifle and the shell casing was bedding down ok and the extractor would grip on the casing but as soon as I put the bolt back in it wouldn't grip or extract the shell.

Appreciate any insights / tips

Cheers

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I just checked my 15 and the extractor is tight against the bolt with no play in it. That would appear to be your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm ok. makes sense. Mine isnt secure at all, if I hold the bolt upside down it will fall off

Is it held in position by something or is it glued or secured some other way into the hole in the bolt?

I know you can buy replacement ones so there must be some way to secure them tight against the bolt once you replace them

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Depends on the type, claw type is pinned and sprain loaded, dicey to replace do to pin, other type in a one piece affair, snaps onto bolt, what do you have, both will need a bit of fitting to work, the spring steel type easier to get right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on the type, claw type is pinned and sprain loaded, dicey to replace do to pin, other type in a one piece affair, snaps onto bolt, what do you have, both will need a bit of fitting to work, the spring steel type easier to get right.
I'm pretty sure it's the one piece affair, doesn;t look to be pinned to the bolt. It's a piece of steel with a hook on the end (obviously) and half way down there is a round bit that sits into the hole on the bolt. I'm assuming that's the bit that is supposed to snap in to the bolt?? I was just going to super glue it on to the bolt :)

I'll try and take some pics of it tonight

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
If you go to a parts site, Numrich.com, they will show schematics for your rifle and a complete parts list with prices, not sure if they ship or if you can import to your part of the world but it will give you an idea of what you have and will need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts