Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have looked at Midway pushing their "Factory Seconds" bullets and decided to give them a try. So I ordered 100 each, .312 jacketed soft points at 150 grains to be loaded into 7.62x54R for my Mosin Nagants. I will not load them to max as I just like shooting the old war relics. So I opened them up and was surprised to see that they look really good, as in no visible flaws. So I grabbed 10 random bullets from the box and all measured .312 as advertised. Then I weighed them and they came in from 149.4 to 150.5 grains. Not super close in weight but for the old guns it is more than good enough. My question is has anyone else tried the "Factory Seconds" and what was your experience? Good or bad? Like i said i will not use them for hunting or match shooting, just fun target shooting. I am still not convinced to try them in my good hunting rifles as I have great success with my existing loads and don't plan on changing those. By the way , if I had to guess I would say they are "Hornady's" but I am no expert on that.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
You never know why they are "seconds".

Sometimes they vary in weight more the company's standards allow. Sometimes the jackets are a bit discolored. They really shouldn't vary in diameter, since that would affect the pressures in the chamber/barrel and could make them unsafe to shoot.

Sometimes they really are first quality and the company has run over with a production lot. This could be bullets left over from after filling a contract, or they just ran the machines an hour too long. Bottom line is the company wants to convert those bullets to cash, and marks them way down so they'll sell quickly.

I've not bought seconds, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will say this, if you are looking for the absolute least expensive shooting, cast is the king. (I do not cast, yet) but these are, and I am estimating to be 20+% less than if they were first quality if I guessed right on the Hornady brand.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
At the very beginning of the obama shortages, Midway offered boxes of 240 grain Hornady XTP .430" bullet seconds. The boxes had 500 bullets and were really cheap. I bought a box to try. Some had dinged up bases, some were discolored. I separated the dinged bases and used them to zap tin cans. The other 480 or so all shot great, just like any XTP. I went to order more and they were gone.

·
Premium Member
4,127 Posts
I'll buy those "seconds" from Midway when I see something I need. They shoot fine for most purposes, no complaints from me.

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
When I was a teenager just starting out I shot a lot of midway factory seconds. They work fine. Unless you're going after Elk, Moose, or Bear, I wouldn't hesitate to anchor a whitetail or a hog with those either. Not exactly hard animals to kill.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ok so I have looked at Midway pushing their "Factory Seconds" bullets and decided to give them a try. So I ordered 100 each, .312 jacketed soft points at 150 grains to be loaded into 7.62x54R for my Mosin Nagants. I will not load them to max as I just like shooting the old war relics. So I opened them up and was surprised to see that they look really good, as in no visible flaws. So I grabbed 10 random bullets from the box and all measured .312 as advertised. Then I weighed them and they came in from 149.4 to 150.5 grains. Not super close in weight but for the old guns it is more than good enough. My question is has anyone else tried the "Factory Seconds" and what was your experience? Good or bad? Like i said i will not use them for hunting or match shooting, just fun target shooting. I am still not convinced to try them in my good hunting rifles as I have great success with my existing loads and don't plan on changing those. By the way , if I had to guess I would say they are "Hornady's" but I am no expert on that.

I’ve never quite figured out, why they are referred too as seconds. I’ve purchased ( from another components supplier) bulk boxes (1000 rounds), of Hornady 375, 270 grain SP’s, Hornady 130 grain, .270 cal, and an unknown manufacturer, .454 cal, 300 grain SP’s.

I’ve “mik’d” them, weighed them, and visually inspected them....and can’t find an issue. In fact, the .375’s , when fired as a fire-forming load to make cases for my .375 AI, will produce a large, “ragged” single hole group when shooting from the bench. If that we’re my chosen “hunting bullet”, I wouldn’t hesitate to use them in my old H&H. memtb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts