Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I have a Marlin 336 in .30-30. I bought it to replace a .30-30 Winchester that was reclaimed by it's former owner. I am too nice a guy and should not have sold the gun back to him as I loved it and miss it a lot.

Never having had a Marlin, I thought I would try one. I hate it...couldn't get the factory sites in the black at 50 yards because the rear sight would not adjust low enough.

Then, I tried a set of truglo sights...better, but I still don't like them. Added see-tru mounts and a 3-9 scope...haven't been back to the range, but I am not liking that either, and I am looking for another option before I get rid of this gun.

What is the deal with ghost rings and the long eye relief scout scope? I am not familiar with this.

1. Is the ghost ring and front post used togather with the scope as a sighting system...or are they only there to be used if the scope is removed?

2. Does anyone know where I can read up on the Ghost Ring/Scout Scope system?

3. Is there a place where all the components for the system can be ordered togather?

4. Does anyone have experience with this system in the field?

I would be grateful for any information users of this system could offer.

thanks, Dowser

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Here you go. Don't give up on the sights just yet. Marlin will most likely send you the right front sight for free if you call them. Below is a link you might find to your liking. I like the XS system but lots of folks like the Williams Firesight. You have lots and lots of choices and I am sure the good folks here will chime in.

http://www.expresssights.com/

If you really hate your Marlin this is the place to get rid of it. :lol: :lol:

Dave 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks VTDW...

I have been researching and reading up since my first post and ordered the following from Cabelas:

XS Sight Systems Lever Scope Mount

XS Sight Systems Marlin Ghost-Ring Sights MAR 1894/336

Leupold M-8 Fixed Power Riflescope 2.5X28(SCOUT)IER

Weaver 1" Matte Rings LOW

I learned the Ghost ring sights are a back-up for the scope and the scope needs to come off to use them.

gee wiz, the sighting system is costing alot more than the dang gun.

Do ya think this is a good way to go or not?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
padowser,

WOW!! You move really fast. I suggest you think about quick detachable rings. That way you can remove the scope when you need to and when you put it back on it will be at zero again.

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
padowser, leopold and several other brands are available. If you look at the reference section on this sight you will find a post on how to measure the correct front sight height you need. I would replace the front sight so if you ever want to go back to iron sights you can.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Once you get it shooting I think you will be happy with the accuracy. What kind of problems were you having getting it on target at 50 yards? How high was it hitting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Big Med: Initially, I could not get the point of impact below about 18" above the black. Installed truglo sights and was able to get it down. It still doesn't want to group. I think I will end up getting rid of it. The ghost ring and scout scope parts may go straight back to Cabelas when it gets here.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
padowser,

Don't give up so quickly. BigMed said "Once you get it shooting..." and he is right. There are lots of things you can do to improve the accuracy of your 30-30 and the first is to make sure the barrel band screw is just slightly snug and not tight. Try every brand of ammo you can find. Mine likes the Hornady 170 gr. factory ammo the best. I get 2" groups at 100 yd. and that is not as good as it can be. Remingtons give me 6" groups. So, find out what food your thuty-thuty likes best. How heavy is your trigger pull? You might need to work it over because the norm on a new Marlin 30-30 is usually off the scale on an 8 # max. scale. The trigger pull should be for hunting I assume, so around 3# would be good. Are you bench resting? If so, make sure your front rest is on the receiver or as far back on the forearm as you can get it.

Those are for starters and I am sure others will chime in with some ideas.

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Blessed,

You have mail. Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. We don't have another chance to shoot a doe until Dec 31 - Jan 2. I hunt in Zone 6. Have to buy a special anterless permit and hunting license for 2005. Guess I will purchase them on-line with the Wildlife Dept.

There is lots of sign where I hunt as of this past Sunday. We were at our range and I was trying out my XS ghost ring and front post on my 444SS and a Williams 5P and green Firesight front post on the .35 Rem. I sure do like them out to 100 yd. I like the XS really well in the open and the Williams in the woods. To go further with confidence I need new glasses and that will be after the first of the year and before the Hogfest in March. :wink:

Dave 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now How ya feel Padowser,

My first Marlin 336 in .35 Rem shot high and I couldn't get the damn rear junk sight down low enough, but when I went to the Ashly XS ghost ring system, and removable scope rings I fell back in love.

This Marlin was finicky, as it wouldn't shoot some factory ammo worth a dam, but it took some work to get it dialed in. Now it's a tack driver.

I love the marlins and winchesters both, but every rifle needs to be worked with to turn it into a fine shooter. That's part of the fun. Hang in there and you will like your Marlin every bit as much as the Winny when them tight groups come.. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts