Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I got my 1894 CBC/.38. I had never used true semi buckhorn sights before (Marbles) and I kept getting vertical stringing. At 50 yards groups would be less than an inch wide, but up to 2" verticaly.
After finaly figuring out the sight picture, I'm getting very tight little groups from the bench.
I also worried about mis-fires with such a light mainspring, but after a coupl'a thousand rounds, no problems.
What are your opinions on the one piece firing pins? I've heard the firing pin is the weakest link on the 1894's.
The CBC's are worth the extra money IMO. The color case hardening is beautifull, the action is WAY smoother than my 1894 CP, trigger is crispy light and the Marbles sights have proven to be very accurate.
Iff'n you're thinking about buying one, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Hammerhead... I'm surprised no one has replied until now.

Anyway, I have a CBC in .38spec. and also one in .45 Colt. I agree, they're especially beautiful and a lot slicker than the regular Cowboy right out of the box.

That said, one can take a regular 1894 Cowboy and slick it up at home (learning & getting to know the rifle a LOT better in the process) and save a bunch of money... of course you don't get the color case hardening either.

If money is an issue, I'd recommend the regular Cowboy and a few hours on the bench at home. If money isn't that much of an issue, the CBC is a work of art and a pleasure to shoot. I love mine. Of course, even the CBC can be slicked up a bit more to make it reeeaaallly smooth.

Jonah has provided an excellent step by step guide for tuning a Marlin 1894 here on marauder's site:

http://www.marauder13.homestead.com/files/MARLIN1894.htm

I just followed the steps to slick up my new 1894SS (stainless .44mag) and the difference is fantastic... just as slick as my CBC's and can be made even slicker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is good to hear that the CBC's have improved. The initial offerings were not a substantial improvement over the standard Cowboy. In fact many gunsmiths were charging extra to work on them.

Enjoy your Marlin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never seen the cowboy in person.
The CBC is so sweet! The color case and the blueing are fantastic. Bought it sight unseen and got a little apprehensive while waiting. Not dissapointed.
Finaly got my wife to the range and she really enjoyed shooting it. Winchester 125 grain JSP's feel like you're shooting a .22.
She did really well. Chicks dig the old timey guns.
The Freedom Arms 97 is next, I think she'll like that too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rockhead... I think the real selling point of the CBC is more aesthetic than functional. Although they are really pretty nice smooth running out of the box... much more so than a standard 1894.

But following Jonah's "tune-up" procedures I have slicked up standard 1894's to match or exceed the smoothness of the CBC. So really, I think that the primary reason some of us like the CBC's is the color case hardening. And the fact that they're fairly slick right out of the box is nice too.

But for the guy who doesn't want to spend the extra bucks for the CBC, the regular Cowboy can be slicked up just as well as any of them. After some "tuning up", they're all equally nice functioning, but the looks is what makes them different. "It's all good!"

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'd have to agree with it's basically esthetics. I bought mine sight unseen when they first came out. My dealer lucked into one and knew I wanted one. called me and asked if I wanted it. it was fairly smooth, but I've had it worked on since. I've got 4 of the newer 1894's and have had all of them slicked. No matter which one they are, they all work great when slicked.........Buck 8) :roll: :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts