Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting a Marlin 45/70 for a looooong time so after my wife got tired of my whining about it, she bought me one for my birthday last month. Put a sling and a Nikon 2-7 Prostaff on it and removed the chunk of granite that Marlin calls a butt pad and installed a Limbsaver. She's a pleasure to shoot now.

Picked up a few boxes of Hornady 325FTX's with the gun and they shoot great in this gun. Ran some through the chronograph and the average was 1835 fps. Got it sighted in 3" high at 100 yards and entered the ballistics into Shooter and have been having some fun with it. I've been reading a lot on here and noticed the concerns with the FTX's being a little on the flimsy side when it comes to 45/70s.

Had access to a couple of trees so I tried them out just to see what they'd do. I took a large set of outside calipers and a tape measure so that I'd get an accurate mesurement of the trees. The 4" and 5" shots were into a stump that was left from cutting the tree down. It wasn't fully green and it wasn't dried out much either. The 6", 7" and 8" shots were in a live tree and were all done on the same tree. The results I got were a little less impressive than I'd expected.

20140621_122145-with text-cropped.jpg 20140621_122544-with text-cropped.jpg 20140621_123047-with text-cropped.jpg 20140621_123547-with text-cropped.jpg

The shot at the 8" diameter showed absolutely no indication on the back of the tree that it had been shot at all. The 6" looks like it just barely got through the tree and the 7" didn't get through but did knock the bark off the backside of the tree.

I know this isn't very scientific but I had no ballistic gelatin, not enough wet newspapers etc. but I did have a couple of volunteer trees that didn't run away.

Since this is my first venture into the 45/70 world I didn't really know what the results would be but I though it would have penetrated better than it did. The shots were all at about 35 yards. I also shot a round into a dirt bank, using a small piece of wood that happened to be laying there for sighting. The bank was steeply angled and when I went up to check, I found it had only penetrated a couple of inches and try as I could, I never even found a piece of jacket or lead.

I have a couple of boxes of Buffalo Bore 8A ammo being shipped and am hoping the results will be different with the hard cast bullets. I might use the Hornadys on deer but when elk season rolls round I'm guessing the Buffalo Bore 430gr. hard casts will be what gets sent down range after elk this fall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Take it to a range and properly sight her in, Break the bbl in. I have the same set up and at 100 yds i can cover 3 holes with a quarter. Sight her in off a solid rest. Stump shooting is for bow's. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take it to a range and properly sight her in, Break the bbl in. I have the same set up and at 100 yds i can cover 3 holes with a quarter. Sight her in off a solid rest. Stump shooting is for bow's. Good luck.
Broke it in properly, and it's sighted in 3" high at 100 yards. 3 shots at 100 went just over 1"

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
The results were a little less impressive? for gosh sakes went smooth through a 6-7 inch tree............?????? If a big hog or dear had been behind it bang flop take em home. looks impressive to me, you should try some heavier projectiles, I have toppled some 8-10 inch gums with 2 shots of the 45-70, much less work than a chain saw...............last week I took out 6-8 gum trees 3-5 inches in diameter with my 45-acp. When all hunting season is over a i focus on the gum trees, good target practice.

·
Registered
255 Posts
From what I've heard, the Hornaday gummy tips are devastating with soft tissue. The cast bullets will penetrate much further. Obviously a tree and dirt are not soft tissue. They exploded on impact. With cast you will lose much less meat and have complete pass through.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Hi, Punkin, and welcome from Louisiana! Those are some really nice tree trunk pics, but what does your rifle look like? :flute:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, Punkin, and welcome from Louisiana! Those are some really nice tree trunk pics, but what does your rifle look like? :flute:
2014-06-25%2009.45.11.jpg
Didn't take any pics of the gun while up shooting. Since this one was taken, I've installed the Limbsaver pad. I've also got a big lever coming from Wild West Guns but it's backordered as they say they have outsourced the production of their levers and do not expect them in house until next week.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You may also want to look at some of the "flex tip game kills" in this very section.
Someone hit a pig in the shoulder with the .308 flex tip, turned him inside out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may also want to look at some of the "flex tip game kills" in this very section.
Someone hit a pig in the shoulder with the .308 flex tip, turned him inside out.
I read that thread and found it interesting. I may use the gummy tips on deer but I'm about 99% sure that I'll be using the Buffalo Bores on elk this fall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts