Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might get moved because this is not he best place for this but I'd like to ask this in the 45/70 forum. I own an 1895 and wanted to get into reloading for it so that I can get some more range time out of my tight budget. What I'm looking to find out is the best reloading manual to start with for a beginner, keeping the 45/70 cartridge in mind. I plan on starting with this caliber. Next will be my 357 and then possibly 7mm mag.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
SIRJ, good move to start reloading. Check with the local library and see if they have any manuals you can check out to start learning, if yu can locate several you may find one of two that have the info you like/understand the best. Check at secondhand bookstores and see if they might have a manual or two for sale.You are starting at the correct place, reloading manuals and working towards the other stuff you will need. We have lots of folks hhere that have tons of reloading knowledge and experience to share with you. Take care, John.

Reactions: GrondHamar

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey J,

Lyman, H'Day, Hodgon, Lee, the ABC's of Reloading. Get several. Can not have enough information.

Spring cleaning time is here. Check the yard/garage/estate/divorce sales. Also, take a look at the bulletin board of the local Rifle Club. Guys are always "upgrading".

RCBS, Lyman, Dillon, CH4D, Redding, Lee, Sinclair, Midway.....etc. are all names to be "familiar" with.

Figure a "store bought" cast bullet, with Unique/Universal Clays/2400, will cost you about thirty five cents. Compared to two bucks a pop, for Factory.

Later, Mark

PS: You will not save any money at all, reloading. You will shoot a whole lot more! LOL

Look here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading/43570-show-off-those-reloading-benches-33.html

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What author for the abc of reloading manual. I see 2 different authors.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I picked up the lyman new edition. has more knologe in it than I need for the 45-70. I only got so many powders and I like the 405 grain cast.
Plumbernater: which Lyman manual did you purchase? There is a 4th edition cast bullet out now. Is there a revised edition of the Lyman #49 reloading manual?? Inquiring minds want to know....

·
Banned
97 Posts
I personally like Lyman , currently using their 49th edition, they have been around forever and are unbiased on their selections...and they have plenty in there for 45-70's

Reactions: CPL Lou and GaCop

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I have a lot of the manuals but since I dont use cast in the 6.5, 7mm or 300Sav I got the Hornady manual since it has all of the data I need for those 3 and I use the SST's for those calibers...

Doc

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Two more important reads if you are loading for this outdated, under powered obsolete round. :flute:

Paul Mathews 40 yrs with the 45-70 and Ken Waters Pet loads. These books have not only loads but a wealth of knowledge on this round. not for the faint hearted or light wallet as this will get you started on a jouney that will undoubtedly lead to many more rifles in this cartridge. BANG AWAY.:party:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I think reloading is THE WAY to go. Your personal loads are more accurate and more uniform than any factory ammo is. Not to mention how much satisfaction one gets from doing it himself. And the BEST thing, is that you can always have ammo on hand. I like that. I started out cheap, on a budget, so I bought a Lee Anniversary setup, then various dies also from Lee. The little booklet that came with my setup has never failed me, either. I guess you could say I'm a Lee man! I've loaded many thousands of rounds in lots of calibers and its still going strong. The Lee manual told me about all I needed to know, though.

Ron

Reactions: GrondHamar

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would it be wise to buy the manual from the same company you plan to buy the bullets from? Like buy the hornady manual if I plan to use hornady bullets?

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a lot of reloading manuals and reference books and I always liked the lyman manuals for a good starting point. Ken Waters, Major Nonte, and P.O. Ackley also have a lot of good info. Having the bullet manufactures handbook is probably not a bad idea, but I always look for look for info for "like" bullets and start with the "Starting load" and work my way up. I think with the 45-70 you won't be doing very many "Max Loads" anyway. Unless your shoulder is a lot tougher then mine.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
If you are new to reloading the load data in any manual is of lesser concern than the information on how to reload. The Lyman manual has been the most valuable to me as I began to reload.

When you get your first manual don't read the training portion, STUDY that section.

Good luck and enjoy the learning process.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can never have too many manuals. However the Lyman, 49th Edition (current) is one of the best. There is an excellent tutorial section on reloading, and specific information for each caliber, with separate rifle and pistol sections (yes, there is a revolver chambered for 45-70. You don't want to go there). Lyman divides .45-70 into three categories: mild (1873 Springfield trapdoor), middle (lever action Marlin and Winchester) and wild (Ruger #1 and bolt actions).

Lyman charts list a wide variety of powders and projectiles, which is helpful in these times when you never know what you can find. Other manuals concentrate on their own powders or projectiles (e.g., Hodgdon and Hornady). Don't rush out and buy equipment until you have a better idea what's important or not. For example, you rarely have to trim .45-70 brass, and cast bullets work well at .45-70 velocities, for a lot less money than jacketed. You can load slow (1200 fps) to hot (1800+ fps), but hot loads are not much fun after 10 rounds or so.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.