Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my display guns together today, for the show next weekend! Narrowed it down to 15 special order Marlins and Marlin Ballards.
Going to also display catalogs from 1885 through WWI, loading tools, and ammo in the calibers for the guns displayed.
The rifles will consist of four Ballards, four 1893's, two 1881's, two 1892's, one 1889, one 1891, and one 1894.
It's going to be a long week waiting! Glad I only have to work four days! Although I'll probably be working harder Friday at setup, than I do all week at my regular job!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I will take pictures! I'll try to take pictures of all the displays. We are scheduled to have over 30 displays, so may not get pictures of all, but I will get the better ones.
I'm taking the day off tommorrow, to help set the show up, so I should have access to the displays, before the crowds show up.

·
Registered
719 Posts
shows..........

:shock: evryone hear that? sounds just like a electro-magnet humm......
:shock: :shock: :shock:

wonder where it's comming from...... :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The show was great! Lots of work, as I'm on the board, and the show committee, but in between the work, I found time to do a little buying and selling. Picked up a model 1897 .22, and a model '93 .30-30 carbine. Both pretty decent, but nothing special enough to replace the ones in my safe. I'll just move them along at our next show, or whatever.
Got some great input on our little show, and from some of the dealers around the west, who think it's one of the finest shows in the west! That is good news as we've worked hard to make it a strictly guns, gun show, and keep the junk out. Looks like we'll get a couple months rest, and then start preparing for next year's show!
Kaintuck,
The magnet still works!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost forgot! My best find was a 1903 Marlin catalog for my catalog collection! It's not perfect, but when you don't have one, it's great to get it! I now have 1885, 88, 96, 97, 03, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 13 14, 15, a number in the 20's, and everything from WWII forward!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Dang magnet even works on paper!!!! LOL

Good Find MM93!

Willy

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I did promise pictures, and I took them. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to download them until after the show, and only three turned out. Two sections of my display were unledgeable. I did post the two pictures of my display, and one of my best friend's Savage display on the Gallery. They are bad pictures at best, but his Savage 1895-1899 collection turned out a bit better.
The missing panels were my model 1881 special order rifles, and my Ballard Schuetzen rifle, along with my 1881 loading tools.
http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10080&pos=1
In this first picture from top left:
1893 Lightweight, takedown, .32-40, with 20" half octagon barrel, and threaded for Maxim silencer.
1893 .25-36, takedown, with Lyman 7a front globe sight, one of a kind rear sight, factory installed Whitney Kennedy trapdoor buttplate, 26" full octagon.
1893 .38-55, deluxe rifle, with full octagon 26" barrel, pistol grip, checkered stocks, Marbles tang sight, Ballard globe front sight.
Second row:
1894 .32-20, with 28" full octagon barrel.
#3 Gallery Ballard, with 28" full octagon barrel, Ballard hard rubber buttplate, and French proofmarks, Ballard Gallery rear sight.
#2 Hunter Ballard, .32 Ballard XL, double set triggers, Ballard globe front, and midrange gallery rear sights.
#5 Pacific Ballard, with extra heavy .45-70, 34" full octagon barrel, mid range vernier rear, and Beeches combo front sights.
http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10080&pos=2
In this second picture from top left:
1892 .22 rimfire, deluxe rifle, with 24" full octagon barrel, pistol grip, checkered stocks, Lyman tang and Lyman combo sights.
1892 .32 rf-cf, deluxe rifle, with 24" half octagon barrel, pistol grip checkered stocks, Marbles Special Flexible base rear, and Lyman combo front sights.
1891 .32 rf-cf, with 28" full octagon barrel, Lyman tang sight, marked GNFRR. This belonged to a security guard for Great Northern Freight Railroad.
On the table, my model 1893 two barrel deluxe rifle, .32 HPS, and .30-30 half octagon barrels, with Ballard globe front sights, and Marbles tang sight. One barrel is 24", the other is 28".
Also on the table various catalogs from 1885 to 1920's era, ammo for the rifles, and loading tools.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey....I don't see any price tags on those rifles. However did that slip your mind? :D

And now a serious question that you must fess up to......How many times have you read each of those catalogs?

Pretty display......you need to start an old time gunstore.....racks of guns on the wall, pot-bellied stove in the center of the room, pickle barrel (did they have those in gunstores?). :roll:

max

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure how many times I've referenced these old catalogs. Seems like every so often some question comes up, and I resort to info in them to verify something. I try to keep them in good shape, so I don't just sit and read them, but I can't ignore them either!
When I retire I'll put price tags on them, and open that store you described! Of course the prices will be so high that all the youngins will think I'm crazy.
I see it all now, a dingy little shop, with layers of dust on all the guns, a bunch of crusty old farts, talking about the old days when guns were cheap! Younger guys hanging around, just in case some other oldtimer walks in, wanting to sell his old Ballard for $100! But the crusty old farts spoil the kid's chances, by letting the oldtimer know what he's really got!
Not many gun sales happening, but lots of social talk, and comraderie.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Wishbone! Wish I would have had the energy to download them Saturday night. If I had, I would have seen how they turned out, and taken more the next day.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Can I join the crowd at the stove if I promise not to spit snoose all over it? Heck, I like listening to the old guys tell gun stories!! :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sure, I bet you could even learn to tell a few yourself! :wink: We might even get Kaintuck to join in. I know he's a youngster, but he's a quick learner!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Snoose

Great!! My first story will be how Italians shoot better than Swedes! Ha-a-ack, pa-too! Oops!! I promised not to do that! :shock: Maybe I better let someone else go first and tell about the very rare Marlin that got away. First round of root beer is on me! :D SW

·
Registered
719 Posts
here i is!

:D Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed, poor mountain man that berely kept his family fed....... :lol:

what are guys up to? poking a stick at me? ok! here goes!

I just returned from a fabulous trip abroad, the trip thru Athens was really nice. This time of year the grape harvest is in full swing, and the so are all the girls, the grapes are crushed in the most humble of means...I took some pictures and emailed them to one of my friends back in the states. we should be glad for the FDA here, those Italian girls NEVER wash! Anyway, my family, and the poor but nice mexican family that works for me, traveled to the Games, the high divers were most excellent. Reminds me of the times I spent in Scotland training for deep water rescues. Most people can't take the cold water, but good for me that I can......
Next on the flight of schedule was a stop off in the Iceland ports, my private pilot had a little trouble landing due to the dense for, but fortunaely I have a 4 engine IFR rateing and took over control of the jet and landing excellently.
The port of call will remain secret, i cannot divulge my operations there, the multi-national governments would not be pleased, as I am hopeing I may resolve a major world crisis soon. This is, if they will accept my humble contributions to the cause.
Last stop was back home here in California, just in time to have dinner with Arnold. Dosen't he have a lovely wife, and well he should, I remember the day I introduced them..such a nice family!
Well time is getting away from me, and I need to unpack a few things, and get out my trusty 45 auto, another 1,000 rounds needs to be put thru her before I can turn in, now where did i put the mag loader machine?
Well, until next time boys,(you women need to go cook something now) have a good life! :wink:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Dang! This stove gathering is gonna be really cool! Ha-a-ack, pa-too! Oops! Hope I don't need electro-shock therapy to break myself of this habit! :shock: SW

1 - 20 of 51 Posts