Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8,370 Posts
There's nothing better than a FRESH killed wild bird. Some years ago I was the Camp Cook at a buddy of mine's hunting camp during Turkey season. There were 3 hunters besides my old friend Barry that went out to get bird. About 45 minutes after Barry walked out the door, I heard a SHOT. 15 minutes later Barry was under the roof-over outside pulling all the feathers off a good size hen he just shot and was hanging on the hook. He came in and handed me the bird that was going to be dinner!

To make a long story short, it was the BEST Turkey I ever ate! Frozen Turkey is ok provided it hasn't been sitting in a freezer too long, but a FRESH bird can't be beat! :)

10GLOCKS- it was NOT LUCK, it was SKILL. Take credit when its due! (y)

Mike T.

· Registered
2,207 Posts
Got mine the old fashioned way as well.
Stopped at Piggly Wiggly, and 15 minutes later I was on my way home, bird in hand.
Fastest hunting expedition I ever made. And no plucking either.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Congratulations, good hunting.

I’ve tried several times to get a fall turkey. I haven’t yet figured out how to get ‘em this time of year. The wifey and I have both been drawn for spring tags. I do alright spring hunting the birds. A few years ago I called in a toad of a tom for her first turkey. It weighed in at 23 lbs dressed.

· Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where I've hunted, fall birds are a different animal than they are in the spring. I've been in my seat wearing blaze orange deer hunting and had them forage right up near me seemingly oblivious to the fact I was there. If I do spook them, they'll run off and come back on their own in 30 minutes or so. In fact, I took this bird while I was deer hunting. One of the few days in November here where deer and turlkey sasons overlap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts