Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm getting ready for deer season and am considering changing over from my 308. Scope and Ammo questions for you guys:

I'm looking to mount a scout scope on my 1895 and have a few questions. What scopes are you guys using and what height rings with them? I'm looking at the Vortex and Burris Scout scopes (both 2-7 power). However neither of them have an illuminated reticle. I will be using it for hunting out to 100-120 yards, mostly probably 60-70 though with the occasional 20-30. An illuminated reticle would be nice because I do most of my hunting at daybreak/dusk, but not a necessity.

As far as rings, I've looking at the Burris Xtreme Tactical and the Wild West Guns QD rings.

ALSO, I've toyed with the idea of running a red dot on it. I have a Trijicon MRO on an AR15 and love it. I've toyed with getting a Primary Arms red dot for it since it would be a minimal investment. Just not sure if it would hold up to the 45-70.

My current ammo selections are HSM 405 grain Cowboy Action and Lehigh Defense 305 grain Controlled Fracturing. What would/do you guys use?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,419 Posts
I only buy Vortex scopes and have had no problems in low light. They seem to capture the light very well. I have never had to leave my stand early because it was too dark to see through my scope. I highly recommend Vortex and have limited experience with Burris.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Welcome friend, from Central Texas.

First off, let me say I admire a man who is getting ready for deer
season at the start of summer.
But in all honesty, do we ever really finish getting ready for hunting season?

I'll tell you this-
I bought a Burris 2-7 scout scope, and I wound up sending it back.
Not because it was faulty in any way...It was fine, it was just plain too
tall.
A scout scope needs to be low IMO. Low like iron sights. Otherwise,
your head is bobbing around and it's unnatural without a good cheek
weld.
Now, everybody's different...but this might be something to consider.
I like Burris but I think that 2-7 scout scope is a miss for them.
I would recommend looking at something with a low profile to it.
If your shooting is mostly 70 yds and rarely further than 100 or so,
I'd look at a 1-4.
Low light is something we all deal with.
But 60-70 yards isn't far even in low light...so I'd think a low power
scope would be plenty, and that's going off experience.
Optics have come a long way and I find that if you stick to the
name brands and steer clear of the cheap stuff they're all about
equally as good.
My nephew is a big Vortex fan and his scopes are real clear.
I like a little bit of everything and you can't go wrong with Leupold,
we all know that.
The best advice i can give is keep it low profile.
I believe you'll be happier with it that way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Recently in the same situation. For short range (100yd) "woodsy" hunting I selected a Vortex Crossfire muzzleloader 1x24. Very compact, surprising bright; and with 2.5MOA wide cross-hair @1x no problem getting nice contrast. Using low rings the target acquisition is fast and instinctive. But the cross-hair is too coarse for much longer ranges, so another scope will fill that purpose.

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
Scope choice is very subjective but for a scout setup my preference is the Burris 2.75x20 or Leupold 2.5x20 vs any of the variable scopes. I don't have any experience with the Vortex but I have owned the Burris 2-7 and Leupold 1.5-4 and didn't like either one of them. To me the variable scout scopes are a neat idea but compromise too much on image quality, size and weight for what little benefit you get from the extra magnification.

As for the rings you may want to consider Leupold or Warne QD rings. The WWG rings you mentioned are actually Warne rings that cost a lot more. If you look on ebay you can sometimes find used rings for less. Ammo selection is also subjective my my own preference is for a slow and heavy bullet. The only disadvantage is the bullet drop is greater but as long as you can dope your shots, a 400 grain slug will have no problem blowing through thin skinned game like deer.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
First, be advised I have not live fired with this scope, hope to soon. I just purchased the Vortex Scout scope. So far I like it, easy to pick up and can get a decent cheek weld with it. I went with the Warne detachable medium rings mounted on the rail of my SBL. Salesman didn't think they would fit but they did.

Padraig

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys! I am leaning more towards the Vortex for it's cost effectiveness so I can see how much i like using a scout scope. I'd hate to invest hundreds more in a Leupold variable power and not like the setup, haha. I know it's worth the money, but I just want to be sure before I invest that much.

Really appreciate you guys' help!

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
I have a 1970s Leupold M8 2.5X on my 444P and a Vortex 2-7X scout scope on my 1895. Both scopes work very well for me.
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Airsoft gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Shooting sport Trigger

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Jay-

I'm green with envy over that M8......
What a nice set-up there, Man.
Those were and are some great scopes and no wonder
they're so beloved to this day.
I have several M8 4Xs and the one 2.5X which were considered the ultimate levergun scope back in the day. They are much better made than todays Leupolds. Quality of the M8 glass is comparable to a VX-3 but at a much more affordable price. The downside for these old timers is adjusting the old style windage and elevation dials which don't have modern positive click style adjustment. I can usually pick up one of these old M8s for around 150 bucks or so. Leupold will still honor their warranty on these scopes.

Reactions: navajo

·
Read Only
488 Posts
I had a Burris 2.75x Scout on an XS rail all mounted up to my 1895 GS, but after getting in a situation with the sun at my back, making the ocular lens on the scout scope look a lot more like a mirror, I switched to a conventionally mounted Leupold VX3 2.5-8 x 33. The conventionally mounted scope seems a lot more useable to me. I also increased the effective range of the gun with the higher magnification, or at least my paper punching is greatly improved at 100 yards. The scout scope may have some advantages in a few circumstances, but I found it to be a disadvantage in more situations.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Definitely up to your tastes. I like traditional scope setups, or open sights. For me running a small scope is best. I like the 2-7x32’s mostly. All my hunting is in northern NY’s ADK mountains and just a bit of overgrown farm land for whitetail

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.